Is This XJ Worth 800$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This XJ Worth 800$?

I want to restore it to a functioning dd, but would also like to know if you think i could get my 800$ back if I parted it out.

Found an ad on craigslist. It reads as follows;

'99 Jeep Cherokee Sport XJ for sale with front end damage. Ax-15 5 speed transmission, 156,xxx on body and motor that still runs great. No rust or rot. Lots of useable parts. Color is red. Has 2 inch spacer and shackle lift. Axles are good. Value in parts alone are worth it can post pictures on request. Need to get rid of soon. Contact me through email with any other questions. Thanks.

He said the engine is fine and runs perfectly but the belt (serpentine) needs to be replaced along with the radiator. (both easy fixes)

Well I got some pictures. Had to screenshot them to post from my phone. Will post the pictures in their entirety when I get to a computer in like two hours.

Damage doesn't look so bad. He mentioned that the steering shaft broke. I've never had to fix one of these. Are they difficult/expensive to fix? The door also looks like its creased a little bit. Think the unibody/frame rails are bent?

Anyone want to estimate the cost to fix this?

Last edited by Hudson; 11-30-2012, 07:12 AM.
    Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

To fix it right it looks like it needs a radiator support and an apron. I wouldnt be surprised if the front of the rails were pulled in seeing that the bumper is folded under the front.
    If you didnt want it perfect and just to look good again most of that could be pulled straight and Im sure put back together.
    Dan.
    2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
    www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
      To fix it right it looks like it needs a radiator support and an apron. I wouldnt be surprised if the front of the rails were pulled in seeing that the bumper is folded under the front.
      If you didnt want it perfect and just to look good again most of that could be pulled straight and Im sure put back together.
      How much would a radiator support and an apron cost? What is an "apron"? I'm illiterate on this.

I'm sure I could pull it straight and what have you, but I think it'd be easier to just buy parts from a junkyard and swap them on. I think a slide hammer could pull out the fenders but as for the front bumper and grille I'm not so sure on.

I want to be able to drive this around without worrying about it falling apart. Do you think it would be expensive to get it back to original shape?
      Hudson

Comment

strip all the parts down and expose the damage to the inner body panels so we can see what youre dealing with. alot of those front end parts i can get relatively inexpensive aftermarket through work. oem parts too but i think most of the cherokees we have are front end hits or are stripped already
        2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
        1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

The apron meaning the front inner fender area. It doesnt look like anything actually hit the fender, so all the dents are wrinkles from it being squished in like a slinky.
          I just realized too, if the drivers door is closed in those pics the unibody is tweaked as shit. There is a huge gap in front of the upper door. Looks like the whole A pillar is pushed back and the roof is pushed up. Like the frame bent up right under the front door. That thing would definitely need to go on a frame machine. It doesnt look like its worth fixing unless you know someone you can pay to pull the frame cheap, and maybe pull the front too.
          Dan.
          2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
          www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lycaon View Post
            strip all the parts down and expose the damage to the inner body panels so we can see what youre dealing with. alot of those front end parts i can get relatively inexpensive aftermarket through work. oem parts too but i think most of the cherokees we have are front end hits or are stripped already
            I haven't purchased the thing yet, i am still judging what is wrong with it by asking the guy for pictures of it. It looks to me like he slammed into a telephone pole or something.

If i do buy the thing, i will definaly take you up on your offer to get me parts for it. Would be much easier than going to a pick and pull and getting all different colored parts and piecing it back together.

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
            The apron meaning the front inner fender area. It doesnt look like anything actually hit the fender, so all the dents are wrinkles from it being squished in like a slinky.
            I just realized too, if the drivers door is closed in those pics the unibody is tweaked as shit. There is a huge gap in front of the upper door. Looks like the whole A pillar is pushed back and the roof is pushed up. Like the frame bent up right under the front door. That thing would definitely need to go on a frame machine. It doesnt look like its worth fixing unless you know someone you can pay to pull the frame cheap, and maybe pull the front too.
            I've circled what i was talking about in the picture below. Do you think this shows that the unibody is tweaked from the crash?

My neighbor is actually an autobody tech and has a portable frame puller at his house which is basically right next to mine. Not sure if he'd be willing to help me pull it/fix it for cheap though. Might have to go up there and ask him before i buy it just to be sure he'd be willing to help.

Lets say he's not willing to help me, and i'd have to pay someone to unbend the frame and everything else. How much would you estimate this costing?

What about a part out? Think i make more than 800$ parting this entire thing out?

Last edited by Hudson; 11-30-2012, 09:08 AM.
            Hudson

Comment

Not to sure i would pay 800 for it. As fas as parting it out to get more then 800 im sure it would be possible. But might take some time

Comment

If the frame is damaged a fair amount, I would bet upwards of 2000 (maybe more) to pull and true everything.

My guess, total to fix it to like new condition will be around 3800.

Save your 800 and keep looking for something better that doesn't have a salvaged title.

Comment

The radiator core support is smoked. I would like to see what the rails look like. IMO, after a new hood, grill, fenders, core support, radiator and whatever else youll be in over $1000 easy. I wouldn't bother, I don't want an accident vehicle but that's just me.
                  I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

not worth it, needs whole new front end, unibody is tweaked, , radiator / a/c condensor, core support, etc. as far as parting it out, i wouldnt think you'd make much more then $800 parting it, factor in the hassle of pulling parts. not worth it.

you can find running xj's for $1000 that are in decent shape
                    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                    eliminator MJ - Sold
                    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

low ball the shit out of him? chances are it would probably end up in the scrap yard anyway? i mean like everyone else said, if the frame is all fucked up and theres a lot to repair even doing JY parts you could be in over $1000, if it were more like $500 or under id prolly think about it more seriously imo.

personally as a DD, i have found the ways of a light small car...invaluable to your wallet
                      -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                      https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
                      I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
                      -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

hell i bought my 98 xj on craigs for 650 and it need a fuel injector. no rot anywhere only downside is that it had 260k on it. but its a 4.0. they last forever. dont waste your time or money
                        98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

Comment

I got my purple one for 700
                          2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
                          97' zj
                          2012 surbra imperza DD
                          im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

im gonna vote the same way, dont waste your time. if you want something nice for a dd take your 800, put it aside and keep adding to the pile until something right comes along. if youre looking for a decent 5sp xj spend an afternoon and search the shit out of craigslist. something inexpensive and decent is bound to show up somewhere.
                            2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                            1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

i payed 500$ for this with 1ook on the clock .... just needed a clutch......

be patient a better deal is out there

-98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                              -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                              -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                              -57 GMC Pickup
                              -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Working...
                              X