Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirtbound mid arm Q's

What are your thoughts?
    http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/jeep...p-cherokee-xj/ they also have the DIY kit for 380. which is what i would probly get.
    Also what is the advantage of having 1 upper link instead of the 2?
    98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

it's dumb, and weak as all hell.

Think about it ALL of the torque from your front axle is being applied to that one little arm with those little bolts. Just like the IRO setup, it is NOT a strong setup at all.

There is absolutely NO advantage, except people think they have a 3 link, when all they really have is a ghetto ass radius arm setup.

And the welds look like crap. And the Heims are tiny as hell (not to mention daily driving with heims in the northeast will make you hate your life)

I can go on. Don't waste your money dude.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Well said. Thank you. But i want upgrade! i could do something like this with johny joints. correct? will i still want to shoot myself?
      98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

Comment

i would deff go with the extra arm since it is a radius and not a true 3 link tho

Comment

LOL.

I'd deff use johnny joints instead, they last longer and hold up to the mud/salt/elements you're jeep is going to see (not to mention they are also still cheaper than high-end heims like FK).

Mid-arm three links are very common. There are a couple people around here running them. They are very good for getting proper geometry with relatively low amounts of lift height. Use two solid lower arms and one solid upper arm, all three with their own mounts on the chassis and the axle end.

A 3 link upper made with 2 1/2" johnny joints and using 9/16's or 5/8's bolts will hold up to almost any abuse you put it through.

Also with a 3-link there is a lot of load placed on the trackbar, so don't forget about that! It's very important to use heavy duty hardware, the beefier the better, generally speaking.

By doing those things differently you'll be able to build a setup that not only works for what you need on road and off road; but it will also be very strong and 6 months down the road you won't need to overhaul your front end again.

Search for some XJ mid-arm 3 link builds, i know there are some good ones over on NAXJA or Pirate. That will give you a very good starting point.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Sweet thanks alot man! and Stiffeners would probly be a good idea first right? pretty sure im stating the obvious haha. any suggestions?

Comment

Anytime!

I did stiffeners around the same time i put my longarms on. I got the ones from RuffStuff because they were on sale and pretty cheap, but the HD offroad ones are nice too. If you're planning on going all out I'd do front ones along with the main rail stiffeners.

I ran a Clayton long arm setup with 3" of lift then 4.5" of lift. It's deff what i would recommend, but I am alittle biased... As expensive as it is, the kit is WELL worth it. Quality, ease of installation, it's one of those things. Obviously it's more expensive than doing it yourself, but it comes with it's advantages (warranty, powdercoated arms, 3 piece crossmember, all you have to do is install it, etc...)

It's up to you and depends on your fab skills.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

i have 4.5 atm and may be down sizing to 3.5 idk. im running short arms with Rockyroad drop brackets but well they are beat by the P.O and a bit shyty. flex nice but thats the only real benefit. i want strength. shyts scary sometimes haha. my fab skills are shyt. so buying is my option

Comment

Tnt skid plate with bent Clayton long arms
                  2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
                  97' zj
                  2012 surbra imperza DD
                  im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

Working...
                  X