No announcement yet.

Rear driveshaft pulled out of T-Case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used an alen head cap screw, works great, and they are hardened.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
      i wana say its 5/16"s.... but it could be 3/8"s. but the bolt head is rounded. its rounded to fit in the leaf spring perch. you can usually find the bolts at a parts store.....

that center bolt is the center bolt in the leaf spring. look at the diagram 92xjlaredo posted....

good luck
      I am 99% sure it's 5/16", I remember trying to drill out to 3/8" once and it sucked drilling spring steel so I gave up. Caleb's advice about the allen head is spot on, just make sure you get the correct length so you have enough threads to get the nut but not so much that you can't tighten it down.

How far away from home are you? Is there anyone with some experience that can help you? Better yet, is there anyone that could put your Jeep on a trailer and get it to your house? If you weren't an hour and a half away I'd come help.

What were you doing when this happened? My guess is that the centerpin and/or u-bolts have been lose for a while and the centerpin just snapped finally. Though SYE is a good upgrade, I really doubt it is related to this at all.
      Last edited by Harry; 10-31-2012, 10:05 AM.
      97 XJ.

Comment

Originally posted by 952door View Post
        Did you fix this man im in new milford if you need help
        No. No car/vehicle to get me to the parts store or the jeep for that matter. Need to wait for my dad to get home so i can borrow his truck to go grab the part and get to the jeep.

If you're any more experienced at this, i'd be happy to have you come along assuming you're free and not doing anything and what have you. It is Halloween, you might charge double time.

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
        I used an alen head cap screw, works great, and they are hardened.
        Would you happen to know how long or the diameter or anything like that about what i need?

My dad works for a factory and can literally bring home any 5/16" bolt i need, i just need to know the size of the thing. It just won't have the beveled end that the one on advanced auto shows. (Do i even need that end believed?)

Originally posted by Harry View Post
        I am 99% sure it's 5/16", I remember trying to drill out to 3/8" once and it sucked drilling spring steel so I gave up. Caleb's advice about the allen head is spot on, just make sure you get the correct length so you have enough threads to get the nut but not so much that you can't tighten it down.

How far away from home are you? Is there anyone with some experience that can help you? Better yet, is there anyone that could put your Jeep on a trailer and get it to your house? If you weren't an hour and a half away I'd come help.

What were you doing when this happened? My guess is that the centerpin and/or u-bolts have been lose for a while and the centerpin just snapped finally. Though SYE is a good upgrade, I really doubt it is related to this at all.
        I just need to find the correct length bolt that will fix this, and i'll be on my way.

It's about 4 miles away from my house on an old dirt road that is hardly ever traveled. (Which is good for me.) The only downside is it kind of sits on unlevel ground, so i think i'd have to put blocks under the front tires then jack up the rear to fix it.

My dad does know a guy who has a trailer that would be capable of getting this out of here, but i don't want to have to do that if i can simply fix the thing in under an hour.

I was driving down a dirt road, hit a bump in the road (kind of like a little ditch for water to go from one side of the road to the other) and i heard this pop sound. I looked out my window and saw the rear fender flare hanging off. I thought that my tired flex, hit the fender flare, and popped it off (thus the pop i heard. I got out, popped it back on, didn't even think to look under the jeep, and kept going. Two seconds later, i heard this loud popping noise, and i pull it off to the side of the road and discover what i've taken pictures of.
        Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

snag a couple ratchet straps, get the axle close to center, drop rear shaft and crawl home? IF its not too far outta the way...thats what id do so i didnt have to deal with trying to fix it in the woods. just a thought
          -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
          https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
          I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
          -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
            snag a couple ratchet straps, get the axle close to center, drop rear shaft and crawl home? IF its not too far outta the way...thats what id do so i didnt have to deal with trying to fix it in the woods. just a thought
            Haha I was actually thinking of doing that

Just got back from my first trip there and the lug nuts were too tight to get off. Had to come home and get a 3/4" drive ratchet. Broke two 3/8" extensions and the actual tool for loosening them.

Got a center pin from some store. Looks a bit long, but I'll use a hacksaw and cut it down to size.
            Hudson

Comment

How do i line up all the leaf springs so that i can get the bolt straight through all of them? Is there a secret to this?
              Last edited by Hudson; 10-31-2012, 05:50 PM.
              Hudson

Comment

My god. What a night.

Been wrestling with the thing for a few hours, and i'm now on top. Would have finished it, but one of the U-Bolts became stripped out, so i'm going to buy a new one tomorrow (i'm willing to bet nobody is going to have one that will fit so i'll have to order one online.) Once that is done, this sucker is back on the road.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Hudson; 10-31-2012, 09:29 PM.
                Hudson

Comment

Superior Spring in Hamden, tell them you need one with an inner diameter the size of your axle tube. They'll make em right there for you.
                  2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                  MK2 Jetta > M3
                  Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I have 8.25 ubolts in m garage if you want some

Comment

any spring replacement shop can make u-bolts to your spec only takes them a couple minutes.
                      However Autozone type shops have u-bolts that will work only 1/2" bolts and they like to strip the threads but work just bend to fit if it isn't perfect.

Also for the center pin any bolt will work just grind the head round.
                      if your only 4 miles away a bunch of ratchet straps and front wheel drive will get you home.
                      the newer T-case will not leak any oil the older ones will either install a cup over the output shaft or just let it leak. 4 miles not a big deal.

I would stick with the 242 they are are stronger than the 231
                      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

rear discs ......

and ive always heard the 231 is a stronger tcase....could be that ive heard wrong though
                        -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                        https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
                        I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
                        -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                          Superior Spring in Hamden, tell them you need one with an inner diameter the size of your axle tube. They'll make em right there for you.
                          Would of went there, but surprisingly enough Advanced auto had two grade 8 U-Bolts that fit for 20$. Would of spent more on fuel getting to Hamden than that.

Originally posted by 952door View Post
                          I have 8.25 ubolts in m garage if you want some
                          If i had read that sooner, i would of taken those from your garage instantly. Thanks for the offer, but i get er' fixed.

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                          any spring replacement shop can make u-bolts to your spec only takes them a couple minutes.
                          However Autozone type shops have u-bolts that will work only 1/2" bolts and they like to strip the threads but work just bend to fit if it isn't perfect.

Also for the center pin any bolt will work just grind the head round.
                          if your only 4 miles away a bunch of ratchet straps and front wheel drive will get you home.
                          the newer T-case will not leak any oil the older ones will either install a cup over the output shaft or just let it leak. 4 miles not a big deal.

I would stick with the 242 they are are stronger than the 231
                          I actually heard that the 231's were stronger than the 242s. Managed to get it home by loosening the ubolts kicking it up a little bit and tightening them down, and then removing the driveshaft at the U-Joint and driving it like that. Actually sounded better than when i had the driveshaft in.

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
                          rear discs ......

and ive always heard the 231 is a stronger tcase....could be that ive heard wrong though
                          Upgrade to rear discs, it's totally worth it. I think it cost me right around 300$ for everything installed. It's in my build thread if you want the specifics. I actually have everything in my garage to convert another XJ to discs, but they're my brothers for when 'he buys an XJ'.

Once again, thanks for all the help. The Jeep is now on the road again.

Hudson

Comment

Working...
                          X