Going Distributorless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Distributorless?

So my buddy has a 2002 TJ manual 4.0...hes thinkin about going to a 350/327/GM something or other driveline and wants to give me his 4.0 (i wont take it a and flip it for free cash, only take it if i can actually use it and/or it be an upgrade), its got 110K miles on it and runs like a top.....curious to know how difficult it would be to install this in my 96? which albeit OBD2 still would need the wiring etc for it, which comes with the motor. wondering how much different a TJ manual is from an XJ auto as far as bellhousing bolt holes...flywheel differences etc? oil pan, what am i looking for? i know they cant be perfectly identical...anyone? or am i just and should just tinker till i eventually fix my decent running 96 motor?

reason being is that my XJ runs like shit and i still cant figure out why(posted a few videos a while back...thought it was solved, problem came back). luckily my geo came around and i got a nice little DD so i can really tinker with the jeep at the moment.

Edit: im not sure what transmission the TJ has, almost positive its 5 speed but i have the AW4
    Last edited by 92xjlaredo; 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM.
    -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
    https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
    I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
    -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

just fix yours or get an SBC and do what hes doing
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

makes more sense though i suppose, a lotta work for not a lotta gain. however if he does end up getting rid of his 4.0 im gonna swap heads and intake among a few other stuffs. i KNOW that shit bolts on and works better for mpg and power
      -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
      -Ian

Comment

i would keep your 96 head. pull it off, maybe have it milled down a touch, clean out the ports of any crap that may be in there, throw on his intake manifold and an apn header and bolt it back down on the engine(as an assembly, makes it much easier) then go get yourself a bored throttle body and youll be good to go

edit: i think when i did my 99+ intake i actually had to take out the bore where the throttle body bolts on. so maybe get a TB first and match it, spray it out really well so theres no lingering splinters of aluminum, then go from there
        Last edited by Lycaon; 10-09-2012, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycaon View Post
          i would keep your 96 head.

edit: i think when i did my 99+ intake i actually had to take out the bore where the throttle body bolts on. so maybe get a TB first and match it, spray it out really well so theres no lingering splinters of aluminum, then go from there
          '99-Up Horseshoe Intake
          Myth: According to that great wealth of information that is never wrong, the Internet says you'll get a 5-30hp gain thanks to the '99-up 4.0L's swooped, equal length runners and larger plenum volume.
          Our Thoughts: While a free-flow intake manifold can deliver more power, it's only going to allow as much air to flow as the cylinder head and camshaft will call for. Upping the intake runner volume too much will cause the intake charge to lose velocity, killing low- and mid-speed power and torque. On a '98-earlier engine running a stock camshaft and unported cylinder head, it's wasted effort.
          Claimed Gains: 5-30hp
          Actual Gains: 5hp loss on Trasborg's '98 XJ (Project Mileage Master)

Read more: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...#ixzz28onn63tj

all the way at the bottom....unless you have other experience

ive never done that kind of extensive work to a 4.0 (or anything for that matter) however i know i can manage. and that only makes sense when they put it that way, henceforth the head change along with intake and exhaust from the TJ 4.0, thoughts?
          -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
          -Ian

Comment

that example is when you dont do anything else, thats why youre adding a header, bored throttle body, cleaning the head out milling the deck mating surface, etc. i definitely noticed a difference. but i also built a custom exhaust, added better spray pattern injectors and installed a fresh cold air intake, so keep that in mind.

Comment

ahhhhhhh, well i patched up my stock exhaust but i really wanted an aftermarket one so i guess thats an excuse. throttle body ill prolly end up doing anyways. already have 24lb 4 port injectors on it and cold air on it.
              -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
              -Ian

Comment

24 lb 4 port injector, cold air intake.... It must be fast

Comment

Originally posted by Lycaon View Post
                  that example is when you dont do anything else, thats why youre adding a header, bored throttle body, cleaning the head out milling the deck mating surface, etc. i definitely noticed a difference. but i also built a custom exhaust, added better spray pattern injectors and installed a fresh cold air intake, so keep that in mind.

Truth
                  I've had my 99+ intake hi flow cat/ borla catback, DIY TB bore/K&N FIPK with a firepower ignition system for 5 years not with no issues and my jeep runs strong.

Comment

Yeah I looked into it a little more, doesn't seem as he's gonna do the swaop in the end anyway so I may just say hell with it and do the ol "run whatcha brung" philosophy haha. I guess there really isn't a whole lot you can do to make a 4.0 run exceptionally strong without either a stroker or just dumping a 350 in there lol. Oh, or a turbo.
                    -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                    -Ian

Comment

Working...
                    X