Ring Gear Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring Gear Bolts

I destroyed the pins in my front Aussie at OER. I finally gave up trying to pull the broken pin parts out when it was in the Jeep, so I pulled the carrier out. The pin doesn't clear the ring gear, so I had to unbolt the ring gear.

I know you aren't supposed to re-use the ring gear bolts, but I already re-used them when I did the intitial Aussie/gear install. Its a high pinion 30 with less than 1k miles on everything.

Should I re-use them again? Everything came out ok and the threads look fine. I am obviously going to loctite them, but is triple use mean the bolts are over stretched from torque and will back out?

I was thinking of replacing them, but I can't find anywhere that sells just the bolts. I dont want to pay $100+ for a rebuild kit when I just need the bolts.

Thoughts?

I reused mine when I put new pins ii n my front locker. Just put rest loctite on
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Your not supposed to. But when i installed my locker I did. I can see after a long period of use maybe. Just locktite them and youll be fine.
      Dan.
      2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
      www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
        I reused mine when I put new pins ii n my front locker. Just put rest loctite on
        What do you mean locker?
        2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
        97' zj
        2012 surbra imperza DD
        im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

Rather than use the bolts a third time, I just remembered I have bolts in the low pinion that is kicking around the garage. I can steal those, they will only be second application.
          Last edited by Crazy Reid; 08-18-2012, 11:37 AM. Reason: Grammer!

Comment

they are not torqued to yield they are only torqued around 50ftlbs
            i would reuse them
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
            X