Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Issue

89 xj

This has been going on for a long time now, even before the new motor went in. When i crank the jeep over after sitting for a few hours, it sounds like it's trying to fire up, but doesnt fully start for about 5-6 seconds. Its not the typical long crank, it almost sounds like there is unburned fuel in the combustion chamber, and is trying to light that fuel along with the incoming fuel and just can't get the timing right. When it does get start, it idles at about 1100 rpm for about 3 sec, then drops down to the loopy idle from the cam.

Things i've tried so far:
    Fuel pressure test: the first time i primed the fuel system, it shot to about 40psi, then rapidly dropped down to about 20psi, then i turned the key off, then back on, it primed again and hit about 40psi, then extreamly slowly dropped down to about 35psi.

Pushed the gas peddle to the ground when it's starting to cut all the fuel off to see if it would start any easier as if there was unburned fuel, no difference at all.

I have new injectors so i doubt they are leaking, fuel pump is about a year old but i do have a spare i may throw in.

Not sure if it's not getting enough fuel because when i slam the throttle open from the throttle body, it almost sounds like a "cough" then it jumps up.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

its funny cause mine does something quite similar to what yours is doing only it does it when its hot. wont do it when its cold ever. perhaps a weak ignition coil not giving you enough spark.
    -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
    https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
    I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
    -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

Pulled a random few of the spark plugs on lunch today, cylinder 3 looked rich, 4 and 6 both looked where they should be. So im thinking these brand new autolights are shit. The last set i had when it was acting up was cylinder 1 ignition wire was arking on the head, but no sparks this time.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

well i know everyone has a pissing match over spark plugs so ill piss on the fire a little bit here, ive never used autolites but ive tried a bunch of different plugs among 4 different jeeps over my years and to be 100% honest i have yet to find one that works as well as the Champion Copper Plus RC12LYC, they just work for me. theyre usually like a buck and a half too. might help your problem a bit
        -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
        -Ian

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
          well i know everyone has a pissing match over spark plugs so ill piss on the fire a little bit here, ive never used autolites but ive tried a bunch of different plugs among 4 different jeeps over my years and to be 100% honest i have yet to find one that works as well as the Champion Copper Plus RC12LYC, they just work for me. theyre usually like a buck and a half too. might help your problem a bit
          We (advanceauto) don't deal with champion anymore, at least my store doesnt, so the next best bet was the autolite coppers

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Oh that sucks, I can get em anytime at my advance auto locations...
            -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
            -Ian

Comment

Working...
            X