Detroit locker fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit locker fail

So me and john galica were trying to figure out the horrid noise comming from his front axel after he just replaced both axleshafts. After crackin it open we found out that his detroit locker wasnt working and there were metal shavings at the bottum of the case. The gears and ends of the old axleshafts were all in tact and his 4 wheel drive wasnt working. We thought it could be his tcase but after putting the whole car on jack stands and having him put it into 4low the front driveshaft was spinning but not the wheels, so that told us its definatly the locker. luckily there is a 1 year warrentee on it so he had the option of getting his money back or getting a new locker. Idk about u but if the locker failed once wouldnt u go with a different kind? Nope this mofo got the same damn one. I know detroit r supposed to be the best but Perhaps a spartin might be better?? I know a wj is a heavy vehicle but he was barrally on it, the rock was just a bambino when he broke both shafts and his locker, its just sad.

I have a feeling this is gonna get a lot of replies...

Pics?
    Last edited by Customjob; 08-14-2012, 10:08 AM.
    2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

sounds like he didnt let it live through the break in period before beatin the shit out of it
      Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
      didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
      Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
      he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
      Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
      i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Ive heard that detroits can break if you break a shaft.
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
          sounds like he didnt let it live through the break in period before beatin the shit out of it
          This seems like the most likely reason.

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
          2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
          MK2 Jetta > M3
          Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
            Ive heard that detroits can break if you break a shaft.
            I am gonna go with this my front axle in my green jeep had a detroit lunch box. Previous owner broke shaft and then when i got it the locker was fucked.
            Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

How would u break in a locker? Just by driving on dirt roads for a couple weeks? Hes wheeled with the locker many times before rouch so i think that would have broken it in enough. What would u say is the correct procedure to break in a locker?

Comment

About 1000 miles driving normal to be honest. Metal is porus let the lube soak in i
                Might be some dumb diesel tech but i know for a fact hard parts have a break in period.
                Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Ive broken 2 detroits, both were at the same time a shaft broke. One was a dana 60 other was a 44. Dont think im ever going to run one again.
                  www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

the locker easily had 3000 miles on it. its just weird that it would break both shafts and then the locker also.
                    04 WJ, 6.5 inch lift on 35'' MTR/K, Clayton long arms,locked
                    Jon

Comment

-98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                      -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                      -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                      -57 GMC Pickup
                      -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by libtech08 View Post
                        the locker easily had 3000 miles on it. its just weird that it would break both shafts and then the locker also.
                        Doesn't mean he drove it normal for the first thousand, could have slapped it in and then immediately went wheeling and it just so happened to last this long and judging by the "how do you break in a locker?" comment, im gonna guess he beat the fuck out of it from the beginning. Or there is the snap shaft, eat locker route that's been mentioned. Either way, Detroit's rarely fail. And Sam, honestly whatever you've broken is usually you're own fault and not actually from wheeling.. offroad NASA division over there
                        Last edited by hippie metal; 08-15-2012, 07:53 AM.
                        Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                        didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                        Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                        he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                        Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                        i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...ials/index.htm

Says right in here detroits do NOT require a break in period. Gears do. Im still going with its from the broken shafts.

And Ryan how does the way Sam wheels have anything to do with shit breaking, iI can see a few things like bending a housing but anything else... plus shit breaks when you wheel, you might of forgotin the while your Jeeps seats and interior where being painted
                          Last edited by Bigbike; 08-15-2012, 08:09 AM.
                          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
                            Doesn't mean he drove it normal for the first thousand, could have slapped it in and then immediately went wheeling and it just so happened to last this long and judging by the "how do you break in a locker?" comment, im gonna guess he beat the fuck out of it from the beginning. Or there is the snap shaft, eat locker route that's been mentioned. Either way, Detroit's rarely fail. And Sam, honestly whatever you've broken is usually you're own fault and not actually from wheeling.. offroad NASA division over there

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
                            2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                            MK2 Jetta > M3
                            Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

break in periods are for the most part a joke. Do you think any competitors drive their rigs on the road for a thousand miles after they put fresh gears in or a new locker?? If it blows up after 10 miles or 5,000 miles it had to do with the setup or the quality of the gears in the first place, not a break in period.

My boss has blown up countless shafts and ring/pinions from HEAVY abuse, never once has it broken the detroit.

x2 on exalting the NASA division.
                              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
                              X