Going Doorless On An XJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Doorless On An XJ?

After tossing around the idea of going doorless, i think it's something i'm interested in.

However, i do have a few questions. When you go doorless, will you ever get the factory seal again? By this i mean, if it's raining, and you have the doors on, will water still get in the cab? What if you're water crossing?

Or in general just other things i might of forgotten/and or would like to know about before going doorless. Yes, this is my DD.

Oh, and on a side not that is totally unrelated, Before i start the jeep when it's cold it's hard to start. I'll turn to key to right before it begins cranking, and it normally shows the battery as low (not sure why), and then it cranks for a second, and fires over real slow. This is followed up by weird idling for a second or two, until it finally fixes itself. Then the battery gauge goes to normal. I'll try to get a video of this tomorrow.
    Last edited by Hudson; 07-11-2012, 06:37 PM.
    Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

I have a 98 xj and went door less and never had problems with rain but im not a fan of the whole doorless thing on xjs so i made halfdoors
    i love them. for the rain.. eh. i have a big tarp for when i park it and bring it with me everywhere i go. and yes its my DD aswell. my doors are also full power so taking them on and off is kinda a pain. especialy alone
    Attached Files
    98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

Comment

I have 96xj 4doors if you want to make half doors.

once you put your doors back on it will seal up like it did before.
      All you do is cut the bottom of the hinge off so the door can lift off.
      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

he has late model xj the early models wont work unless you get hinges and modify the striker
        98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

Comment

The process is different but the principal is the same I just went doorless and removable on my 96 couple weeks back, long as you get the door to sit in the same spot as it did before you made it removable...it should seal up the same.
          -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
          https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
          I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
          -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

If you have working AC I wouldn't even think about it..

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
              Whys that? AC is one thing but going doorless is just fun
              I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                Whys that? AC is one thing but going doorless is just fun
                QFT
                -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

I never bothered because on the 97+ hinges it is more difficult to get everything to line up properly and to modify the hinges. Take a look at this thread for ideas http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...s-97-a-444398/

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                    ...You must be a real fucking riot at parties.
                    sigpic
                    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                      2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                      1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                        Who wants to hear a good story about a bridge
                        I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Nope. The AC is shot. There's a leak in the evap, and there is no way in hell i'm tearing into the dash to get that out. It might be worth it one day though, as my dads an HVAC technician and has all the shit to charge it for free.

It seems like once people go doorless, there is no such thing as a "Factory seal". I think i'll just leave the doors on. Besides, it's all power windows/locks.
                          Last edited by Hudson; 07-12-2012, 04:45 PM.
                          Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

my green xj has been modded for doorless since 2005 and i never had a sealing issue because of it
                            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                            Originally posted by DizzDizz
                            aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                              my green xj has been modded for doorless since 2005 and i never had a sealing issue because of it
                              This, except mine has been modded a little less time and the only seal issues I have is when I crashed the A pillar into a tree without the door on. The door still lines up perfectly and doesn't sag at all, there is just a small gap between the A pillar and the door pillar.

Go doorless, all the cool kids with XJs do it.
                              sigpic
                              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                              X