After Market Gauge's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Market Gauge's

Has anyone adapted any aftermarket gauges like supro/autometer gauges into an xj? I was putting around on the jeep and realized my gauge was showing just above 210, while the coolant bottle was at 195. I want to get something more accurate but the water temp gauge i have at work, the fittings are all way to big and tapping it that big on the block isn't very plausible.

It's a 89 XJ 4.0 and the temp switch is on the back drivers corner of the head and the shaft for the sensor on the sunpro is to big to rig into it. Should i just look into a newer thermostat housing and do a gauge from there?
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

First off.. mechincal gauge or electrical ?, Secondly they make all kinds of pipe adapters and elbows ect. to do what you need to do. you could always T off where the orginal sensor is.
    OH and I'm a fan of Autometer procomp/sportcomp gauges, sunpro remind of adavcedauto junk.
    Last edited by clean4drxj; 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Not to familiar with these gauges, what is better for this application? i can piece it all together, but i wanted to see if i could keep it clean and simple in case i need to track something down.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

if you want simple go with autometer sportcomp mech gauges, I bought some from B&B performance years ago and got assrape, summit or jegs has the best prices, you could get real fancy and get the autometer liquid filled gauges(nice for offroad),

Comment

Dont buy a mechanical coolant temp gauge, I never liked the idea of hot anything being piped into the cabin. I have all electrical prosport gauges in my Subaru and for the price they make a good gauge. I have installed Autometer ones and they are great too.

Are you sure a generic temp sender that would come with a gauge wont fit? The thermistors from a temp gauge arent very big.

And make sure you buy a voltage regulator or the readings will all change when you turn your headlights on. Temp gauges arent as affected by voltage variation but any other gauge will go off by like 10%.
          Last edited by iant333; 07-08-2012, 09:06 PM.
          01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

The sunpro gauge we have at work, the fitting that would thread into the head looks like a 3/8 fitting vs the stock sensor thats tiny

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by iant333 View Post
              And make sure you buy a voltage regulator or the readings will all change when you turn your headlights on. Temp gauges arent as affected by voltage variation but any other gauge will go off by like 10%.
              This.
              2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
              MK2 Jetta > M3
              Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
              X