Brake controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake controller

I'm thinking about borrowing my fathers ranger pickup rated at 5500 towing capacity to trailer the jeep to rausch. United rentals will hook me up with a trailer, I just need a brake controller. I know there are two types, proportional and electronic, is one better than the other and what the general consensus on a favorite?
    Don't Panic

What are you worried about that's making you want to tow over driving it? I drove mine 5hrs a few times on 32s and always made it back OK. I'll let other's chime in, but I think that is going to be asking a LOT of a Danger Ranger.

Not trying to burst your bubble! Just saying I'm not sure driving your Jeep on 31s isn't a better option than towing 6k+ with a Ranger is all.
    Last edited by Harry; 06-18-2012, 10:45 AM.
    97 XJ.

Comment

It's a company car, so all I would have to do is pay to rent a trailer which might be 65 for the weekend. Just a thought.
      Don't Panic

Comment

Those rental trailers have surge brakes iirc so no electric brake controller is needed. Regardless though you shouldn't tow all the way to pa with a ranger, they just can't handle it
        I drive a Datsun

Comment

Good to know, my father mentioned it yesterday and in theory it sounded good. I figured I would get some more professional advice. Is it just the fact it's a light duty pickup that makes it unreliable to tow a jeep? Does the fact that it is the straight six, extended wheel base change anything?
          Don't Panic

Comment

I tow with a 1500 suburban with a 350 and it's at it's limit with my jeep and trailer. As it is the trans wants to cook and there is not enough power for the poconos. That rangers rear springs will be killed, trans fried and no balls to get up to speed on the highway. Or stop lol
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

Hahaha, thanks for the advice
              Don't Panic

Comment

Bump bc I'm taking the cowboy caddy and need to know info lol
                2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
                97' zj
                2012 surbra imperza DD
                im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

2500 or bigger is what is needed..

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                    I tow with a 1500 suburban with a 350 and it's at it's limit with my jeep and trailer. As it is the trans wants to cook and there is not enough power for the poconos. That rangers rear springs will be killed, trans fried and no balls to get up to speed on the highway. Or stop lol
                    Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                    2500 or bigger is what is needed..
                    I agree.
                    97 XJ.

Comment

Then why have a row rating of 5500lbs listed in the manual. I'll admit I may be beating a dead horse, mostly because it's not our truck and as long as we stay inside the reccomended guidelines we are gravy. But it sounds pretty gay you need at least 2500
                      Don't Panic

Comment

http://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/suburba...ech#spec-table

Technically, Alex's 1500 Suburban has a towing capacity of 6500lbs. Geustimating his Jeep weighs 4k and his trailer 2k, he should be good to go...

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                        I tow with a 1500 suburban with a 350 and it's at it's limit with my jeep and trailer. As it is the trans wants to cook and there is not enough power for the poconos.
                        Last edited by Harry; 06-18-2012, 04:56 PM.
                        97 XJ.

Comment

What I’m sensing is that there is a rather large difference between manufacturer claims and real world practicality?
                          Don't Panic

Comment

I tow with a chevy 1500 5.3L V8 with a towing cap of 10k It tows fine no complaints. 18ft trailer weighs 2000lbs and my jeep is give or take 3500lbs. Then add in tools, food, cloths, cooler, grill, people, gas in both veichles. Tow your jeep down with an empty tank is it will ease the load and gas is cheaper in pa. Either way youll be towing close to 6k all said and done. Seeing its a company car i would go for it, and just take your time, whats the worse that happens, it dies over the tapenzee, unhook the jeep and drive to RC. Get a better look at the trailer you will be towing, like alex said most of those uhaul style trailers of surge brakes. Therefor no brake control is needed. One way or the other see you down there

Comment

Your on 31s you really dont need to tow your jeep, you dont do trails taht are that hard I wouldnt worry. And like alex said that ranger is gonna be on its limits. Just because you can doesnt mean you should!
                              -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X