Fender Trimming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Trimming?

I decided it would be a good time to trim my fenders. Sorry for another thread, i used the search option on a few websites, but didn't really get exact results. I kind of just read about the Tuck N' Fold method for the front, but it's a little too late for that.

Anyways, after trimming my passenger side fender, i came up with a few questions and i would to hear from others as how they fixed this.

The fender lining is basically falling out now, the only thing holding it in place is two bolts that hold my relocated vacuum canister in the engine bay. Should i just pull it out all together? If i do that, what should i do about the big hole that leaves? (is it bad if mud and junk goes up into my engine bay? I heard about putting pool noodles there and what not, but does anyone have a better solution?)

I then noticed that right under the fender lining is a piece of sharp metal that i think would pop the tire if it rubbed on that. Do i just get a BFH and knock it flat?

My last question is, before i do the drivers side, how far in do i have to cut before i risk hitting the windshield washer fluid container? Anything else i should know?

Here's some pictures.

Tapped Off Before Trim -

Trimmed -

Sharp Piece Of Metal I'm Referring To. -

Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

i cant see pictures at work....

But i know the metal your talking bout. BFH that flat.
    Get rid of the inner fender lining. the engine bay is still closed off. Unibody.
    the gap in the back is where people stuff pool noodles. it cuts back on the wind draft into the door. i never worry bout it tho.
    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
    some people choose video games
    some choose projects
    some choose welding random things together

Comment

if you slit that metal every few inches it makes it easier to hammer the fawker flat
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
        if you slit that metal every few inches it makes it easier to hammer the fawker flat
        This. Makes life easier.
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Alright thank you. Just began making a few relief cuts, and before i do that i would confirm this.

These pictures should clear it up and make it easier to understand what i'm talking about. I do apologize about all the questions and what have you, but that's really the only way to learn.

This whole thing needs to be bent in, correct?

What about this thing? It's kind of sticking out far, do i cut that back as well?

I also found this rust spot under the fender lining. That white stuff is some foamy stuff, i think that's the inside of the jeep. How would i go upon fixing this? Cutting it out and welding in a patch?

Hudson

Comment

Let me give an update.

I just put some relief cuts in that entire piece, and bent them over.

After that i used a brillo pad to smooth it down and get the dirt off, then i primed it, followed up by bedliner.

That should work temporarily, and maybe it will even stop the rust a little.
            Hudson

Comment

Makin' moves.

That corner piece on the bottom, I just used a BFH to hammer it in.
              MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                Makin' moves.

That corner piece on the bottom, I just used a BFH to hammer it in.
                I just went ahead and cut it back some more.

I have also managed to think up another question. I just went to do the Drivers Side, and i got the cut off wheel through it, and i pulled the fender liner out, and i was quite surprised to see the washer fluid bottle right there. I thought it was further back, i actually scratched it up a tiny bit when i made my first cut.

How do i go around this? Do i have to relocate this or what?
                Hudson

Comment

I left mine there and I have a pretty wide fender trim. I think Will left his in place too. Most people leave them but if you want to relocate it, get the washer bottle out of an older XJ and move it into the engine bay. You might have to mount it creatively, though.
                  MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

mine is not in the way i just left it and bump stopped
                    -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                    -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                    -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                    -57 GMC Pickup
                    -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
                      mine is not in the way i just left it and bump stopped
                      Can you please explain to me what bumpstop is and how i adjust it?

I hear everyone throwing that term around, but i don't get it.
                      Hudson

Comment

i used hockey pucks and put them in my coil springs....... i havent bolted them to the spring isolator on the axle but they still work great. my rig needed two on each side.

a bumpstop stops the articulation of the axle befor it can be pushed up into the fender......

by bump stoping you can stop how far the axle will flex up befor you hit the fluid container.
                        -57 GMC Pickup
                        -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

also i saw your questions below the pictures....... the inner seam on the fender you want to slice and hamer flat..... dont cut that out.
                          -57 GMC Pickup
                          -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

I would say to come by advance and ill show you all the things to know about it...Buuut my jeep wont be seeing the road anytime soon. Tranny problems now
                            God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Custom 3-links caused 911
                              MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Working...
                              X