MJ 4x4 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJ 4x4 Swap

I just bought a new Jeep the other day, 89 MJ 4.0l, Auto, 2wd. I want to do a 4x4 swap so I also bought a complete 99 XJ 4x4 auto with a broken frame.

The swap is pretty straightforward right, my only questions were involving the direct swapability of the transmissions due to one being 10 years older than the other. I know I can swap the 99 engine and dash and stuff to make it work but i'd prefer not to if I can get away with it. I want this to be as original as possible and dont want to have to go hunt down an old 89 4wd AW4.

Also another unrelated question, my cluster doesnt have a tach, just an enormous fuel gauge where I would like my tach to be. Will an old cluster with a tach swap over direct or will I need to do some wiring.
    Last edited by iant333; 05-16-2012, 06:49 AM.
    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Originally posted by iant333 View Post
    I just bought a new Jeep the other day, 89 MJ 4.0l, Auto, 2wd. I want to do a 4x4 swap so I also bought a complete 99 XJ 4x4 auto with a broken frame.

The swap is pretty straightforward right, my only questions were involving the direct swapability of the transmissions due to one being 10 years older than the other. I know I can swap the 99 engine and dash and stuff to make it work but i'd prefer not to if I can get away with it. I want this to be as original as possible and dont want to have to go hunt down an old 89 4wd AW4.

Also another unrelated question, my cluster doesnt have a tach, just an enormous fuel gauge where I would like my tach to be. Will an old cluster with a tach swap over direct or will I need to do some wiring.
    Can you use the engine from the 99?

do the full swap. youll be wayyyyyy better off.

ur old cluster is going to have a speedo cable. new tc will be electronic.
    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
    some people choose video games
    some choose projects
    some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
      Can you use the engine from the 99?

do the full swap. youll be wayyyyyy better off.

ur old cluster is going to have a speedo cable. new tc will be electronic.
      This. Better off putting the time into swapping the drivetrain and interior. Very Corey-esque, but MJs with 97+ interior, motor and nose are teh sex.
      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

its really not that hard. ive done a 91 2 wheel drive mj with a 96 4x4 swap. and helped out with coreys first swap. (might have been doing both swaps at the same time, i forgot)

step 1 gut the comanche of everything but the wiring harness to the rear tail lights.

step 2 strip the cherokee of everything keeping as many peices together as you can.

step 3 lay new wiring harness in truck and throw the motor, tranny, tcase in. figure out you fuel pump setup. (on the 96 swap it was as easy as connecting the fuel supply and return lines)(99 might only have a supply line regulated by the pump?, corey can get you fixed up with the correct setup im sure)

step 4 put everything else into comanche, and splice in the wires for the tail lights.....

thats the super quick run down on how to do it
        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
        some people choose video games
        some choose projects
        some choose welding random things together

Comment

I'm stuck on which route to take. It's supposed to be a daily driver so I dont want it apart for the next 3 monthes.

I think I might just part out alot of the 99 (I only paid 200 bucks for it so i'm not too upset about the stuff not fitting) and buy an old AW4 off somebody. With the way the wiring is I can get anything from 87-97 (as long as the t-case is included if its pre 90). They changed it a ton in 98 so that's the one that wont bolt in without making a signal converter and stuff.

I dont really feel like stripping this truck to the bone really so i think i'm just gonna buy a trans off somebody and use my 99's t-case. Plus I like the nostalgic interior.
          01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X