Running issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running issue

So I have an '88 cherk that Im working on. I threw a 1990 drivetrain in it, and got it to run. the exhaust was apparently clogged on it though, because the muffler literally exploded on me. so I removed the cat and muffler and now it will run, but has no power over 2K RPM. starts to backfire out the tailpipe anytime i get on the gas.

Do we think this is a backpressure issue only? or do we think the ECU isnt talking to the motor correctly because of the jump in years?

I've run more than one rig without an exhaust, so im thinking its not that. Injectors maybe? but they were fine with the old motor. I have fuel pressure... not sure what the deal is, and I gotta get this thing driving by tomorrow.

please help.
    "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
    It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

anyone close with a computer you could try? maybe o2 sensors are messed cuz of the exhaust problem/ open header, or maybe just a try resetting the computer?

Comment

If it was a back pressure issue I would imagine you would be able to feel the valve float. Is it like dying out after 2k or what?
      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

dying out. rapid back-firing and an attempt to sputter out when on the gas.
        "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
          dying out. rapid back-firing and an attempt to sputter out when on the gas.
          Are the plugs wet?

Comment

na, and wouldn't that effect Idle? it idles fine.

Comment

my dads malibu did something very similar and it was his EGR..just my .02 maybe see if its clogged?
              1998 Jetta GLX VR6 Raceland Optimo coilovers, c2 chip, CAI, straightpipe to magnaflow muffler, e-codes, billet alum. crackpipe. 42 draft designs SAI blockoff.

Comment

na, and wouldn't that effect Idle? it idles fine.
                Yeah it would. Not sure about the computer though. How was it with the old motor? I would check fuel pressure at the rail

Comment

Timing maybe?

Comment

Timing maybe?
                    I was thinking that but do the older computers control timing? You have a light? Throw a light on it and see what it says.

Did you try to clean the TPS?

Comment

If it was timing it would idle rough too.
                      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                      MK2 Jetta > M3
                      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Ever run out of gas on a vehicle? Sounds like similair symptoms as if the motor isnt getting the right amount of fuel
                        God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                          If it was timing it would idle rough too.
                          it doesnt not idle rough. haha.

Comment

Working...
                          X