Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb newbie question

What is bumpsteer?
    98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

if you're holding the wheel lightly in your hands (or not at all) and hit a bump and the jeep steers one way or the other on its own
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

It stems from an incongruency between the steering movement and axle movement.

Aka when your steering and tracbar angles are the same.
      dirty30

Comment

ahhhhh gotchyaaa thanks for the input!
        98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

Comment

Mines gotten bad in the last few months with the new lift/tire setup. What are some common ways to correct it? is it as simple as a drop pitman arm? (im running a stock one)
          God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Not a dumb question at all, i'd be willing to bet there are plenty of "non-newbies" that would need to ask.

bump steer quite simply is when movement in the suspension causes the wheels to turn.

When bump steer occurs the suspension moves in a vertical plane(track bar prevents the axle from moving side to side) and the drag link is trying to be lengthened or shortened by this movement. Since its length cannot be changed then the only way to shorten or lengthen it is to turn the wheels.

When the track bar and drag link are at different angles, there is more bumpsteer and it occurs sooner:

Basically, to eliminate it you need to make those two arcs essentially overlap. Bringing the angle of the trackbar and drag link closer together will reduce it:

Some bumpsteer in a rockcrawler is a good thing. At times of extreme suspension articulation it will point the tires slightly in one direction or another depending on the steering and the link setup.

The key is to getting the angles close enough so that there is enough overalp that regular suspension travel on road (3-4 inches) doesn't affect the steering any.
            Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 04-12-2012, 01:09 AM.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

wow thanks for going so im depth haha that helps out alot. would weak components have anything to do with this? such as tie-rods or tracbar?

Comment

Death wobble and Bumpsteer are not the same, but worn components will make a slight difference in bumpsteer as the slop in joints or bushing allows further deflection from the proper angles.
                dirty30

Comment

i know i dont have DW i have had it in a zj what im talking about is much much less.. wobbley hahah

Comment

www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

-Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                        Is that hefflerpoppefuffelsus?
                        dirty30

Comment

yea
                          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

HIP-HOP-A-FRED-U-LAS!
                            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Working...
                            X