Shocks and Springs Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks and Springs Question

I posted this in my build thread in another forum and figured Id post it here as well.

I need some help from the jeep community in reference to my rear suspension. Now that my rig is back on the road I've noticed her *** end bounces a lot on every little bump and its very annoying. After speaking with a friend in reference to how I can correct this issue he had mentioned correcting the rear upper spring perches and outboarding with some good shocks would help. Being as though this was always on the to do list it looks like it may have to be addressed sooner rather then later. Before jumping into anything I like to read up on things since lets face it I work in finance and Im not a mechanic by trade. My questions that I cant seem to find a writeup steering me in any direction:

1) Should I swap out my current (Zone offroad) springs for the Currie Progressive rate springs?
    2) If 1. is a yes then do I go with the 3in or 4in springs?
    3) How do I determine which shocks to go with?
    I know nothing about ideal travel needed or valving, its kind of like chinese writing to me so
    4) How do I determine how much travel I need/want?
    5) How do I determine valving?
    6) Which outboarding kit should I go with, TNTs?

This is where I need the bat symbol, Help needed!
    05 Black Rubicon

Sounds like the shocks are blown out
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Check this thread out. Lots of good info. I'll be tackling this soon with Ford shock mounts and 12" travel bilsteins.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ou...cation-929056/
      2000 TJ

Comment

Originally posted by timmytimm3 View Post
        Check this thread out. Lots of good info. I'll be tackling this soon with Ford shock mounts and 12" travel bilsteins.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ou...cation-929056/
        I read through that thread, very helpful but doesnt help me understand which shocks and how much travel I need.
        05 Black Rubicon

Comment

Set your bumpstops, then pull the springs and figure out up/down travel. Keep an eye on the driveshaft and make sure the U joints don't bind on full droop.

Not too sure on how to figure out valving. Most people recommend 255/70
          2000 TJ

Comment

Has anyone outboarded and noticed a huge difference?
            05 Black Rubicon

Comment

Outboard shock kit:

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...products_id/87

WIN. Henchman has these on his TJ.

I got your PM, unfortunately i really don't have a free weekend until mid may. I don't know if you'd want to wait that long.

I'd also go with a softer rate rear spring, if possible. Check out BDS, they make some quality springs and all have lifetime warranties.

Standard Bilstein 5100 series shocks would treat you just fine. I'd have to look to find out a part # for what shock we recommend with that kit at your lift height.
              Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM.
              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Thanks for the response! Any idea what clayton would charge to install the outboard kit?
                05 Black Rubicon

Comment

As he said before I have the clayton out board shock kit. I absolutely love it. Running 10" shocks now, I could have gone bigger but oh well!
                  The install took about an hour, with all the right tools.
                  PM Custom Creations (Justin) Maybe he can help you out

Go Clayton. Awesome kit, supporting a local shop, and its an awesome kit
                  Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by AngryTJ View Post
                    Thanks for the response! Any idea what clayton would charge to install the outboard kit?
                    with a lift and a plasma cutter, it really is a quick job.

Their labor rate is $100 an hour, if you want to shoot them a call tomr and talk adam. He should be able to give you a price and what not.
                    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
                    X