T case drop help! broken bolts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T case drop help! broken bolts!

i finished up the instal of my 4.5 RC lift on the xj today. i installed the transfer case drop on driver side no problem. passenger side one bolt broke and other wont come out! need help suggestions?! i get some pretty good vibes goin down the road any help is appreciated!
    98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

will post pics if required!
    98 xj, 4.0, AW4, 231 AA SYE, 4.5"RE/RC, CA drop brackets, 33s, and some other stuff

Comment

If the head is snapped off, you could drill into it with a smaller drill bit than the diameter of the bolt and use an EZ out to back it out. If that doesnt work, you could drill the hole out using the same size as the diameter of the bolt and retap it to accept threads again.

Comment

Also with a 4.5" lift, you are probably going to need an SYE and new driveshaft anyway, I dont think a transfercase drop is going to cut it.

Comment

tried easy out. didnt think about taping it tho. hmm. what can i do about other bolt that wont come out? and i plan on going sye and double carbon but because of funds im using drop for time being

Comment

Prairie..... Can you honestly tell me that you have EVER gotten an easy out to work on a bolt that broke because it was rusted??
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

or does anybody know of a long enough front Double carbon shaft i can put in the rear? i used a for exploder front shaft in the front of my zj for a little while maybe somthing similar out there a little longer?

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                Prairie..... Can you honestly tell me that you have EVER gotten an easy out to work on a bolt that broke because it was rusted??
                sigpic
                Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                  Yeah I have, with lots of heat also.

As far as using a dshaft in the rear, if you have a 4.0/aw4/231, you can use an XJ Front shaft from the same combo in the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Yeah I have, with lots of heat also.

As far as using a dshaft in the rear, if you have a 4.0/aw4/231, you can use an XJ Front shaft from the same combo in the rear.
                    Heat being the key factor!!
                    sigpic
                    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

i can just thro that front shaft in there and go? i know i need sye but im getting asap

Comment

i call bullshit, easy outs suck dick.
                        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

You need the sye to run the XJ shaft in the rear, there are no "longer-than-stock" slip joint shafts I know if. Even if there were they would not relieve the vibes, the angle is the issue.
                          dirty30

Comment

Comment

Heat wrench until the bolt turns cherry red. Then try vice grips. Just dont concentrate the heat on the bolt, concentrate it on the hole to make it larger. I had the same problem with mine so I heated the outside, then used a product called Freeze Off to cool the bolt and then vice gripped it out.
                              I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Working...
                              X