Crawl Ratio's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
    Essentially the axles just lower/raise your first gear and top gear.
    Anything in between will not matter what axle gear you have you just might be in a different gear.
    So gear low enough to start and high enough to cruise down the highway.
    Most offroad guys bias on the slow side.

Yes lower axles will lower the torque the drive shaft will see by the difference in the ratio. so 30% lower 30% less torque on the drive shafts.
    Thats why I run 5.38s and let the engine scream.

so getting into torque.
    Your axles can will only see more torque if you change your traction tire diameter or weight, what it takes to make the jeep move. not ratios.
    you put a jeep on the lift and spin the tires how much torque do you have, zero. You need to react the torque to create it
    Either your jeep is going to move forward or the tires are going to spin only if it is completely bound up will it make a difference.
    At 50:1 100ftlbs=5000ftlbs which will even break 35spline chrome molys shafts so stock gearing has enough to break an axle lowering the gears will not cause you to break more just make the engine not work as hard to break the axle say you have 100:1 your engine only needs 50ftlbs to produce 5000ftlbs instead of 100ftlbs at the engine.

Where ever the your gear reduction is everything before will see less torque.
    So if it is all in your tcase your trans/engine will see less torque
    If the gearing is in the axles your drive shaft t-case trans engine see less torque.
    but you can still only produce torque until the jeep moves or the tire slip.
    If your not breaking it now lower t-case will not change anything.

usually you want the lowest gearing at the end so in your axles less the strain on the rest of the parts but you need to gear to drive on the road too.

I think I might be making you more confused hard to explain on paper.

1310 joints are pretty strong 1350 are only like 20% stronger. google the ratings.
    Your drive shaft should be fine the other guy probably had other issues like high angles or crappy joints.
    joints get weaker the greater the angle.

So the question is; do you break axles drive shafts now? do you ever get the tires so stuck you cannot get the engine to break them free? If no then you will not see any difference going with a lower T-case.

if yes we can talk further.

i should have noted i was hinting toward the extreme side of things....
    as in, 1toned, tires didnt move, driveshaft turned into the weak link. if there was lower gear in the axle the driveshaft would have needed less torque to rotate the tires.

i should have just said... gears in the axle will put less strain on the driveshafts and everything behind it all the time.... t case gears will only put less strain on the motor, tranny when in 4 lo. i feel you will be happier in with axle gears in the long run.
    Last edited by justtorchit; 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM.
    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
    some people choose video games
    some choose projects
    some choose welding random things together

Comment

Its spelled Axle, not AXEL... just a pet peeve.

Comment

also that XJ not only had severe axle wrap in the rear, but in the front too....

No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

My 2 cents.

I had a stock 231... and I ran 35s with 5.13 gears and was just plenty happy with the way it worked.

Comment

On highway trips, what is your gas mileage ?

With 33s and 4.88 gears, I can get 16-17 mpg at 65-67 mph.
            2003 TJ Rubicon flame red, 5 speed, 4.88 gears, rear Detroit locker, RE 3.5" SF, 1" BL, Warn 8274, Cobra 75

Comment

Originally posted by Bill S View Post
              On highway trips, what is your gas mileage ?

With 33s and 4.88 gears, I can get 16-17 mpg at 65-67 mph.
              Did you adjust your speedometer?

If not then you will have over inflated MPG
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
              www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Yes, I did with a Digital Dakota, verified using two different GPSs. Also verified the odometer measurment of one mile matches the highway mile marker.

I get anywhere from 13- 15 mpg usually, depending on how much in town driving is mixed in. The 16-17 is pure highway.
                Last edited by Bill S; 03-22-2012, 07:22 AM.
                2003 TJ Rubicon flame red, 5 speed, 4.88 gears, rear Detroit locker, RE 3.5" SF, 1" BL, Warn 8274, Cobra 75

Comment

Working...
                X