exhaust questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust questions

So im going to do my first little tig welding project. making an up and downpipe for a turbo. This is going to be for a subabru that is getting built right now. ive never really bothered looking into this stuff before so if i sound retarded... its cuz i am. The subaru is getting a rotated setup to get rid of the shitty stock design. maybe Dave, timmay, can chime in, whats the most logical way to do this?

so here are my questions.

the turbo inlet/outlet flanges i have found are mild steel. Im thinking of picking up some pre bent 3" stainless for the pipe. Is it fine to weld these 2 different metals together? (idk and i feel dumb, ive never worked with stainless)

once it is welded is there somewhere i can get these coated? ceramic? jet coat? (idk what the fuck jet coating is, just heard these terms) is it even worth it to get coated? i mean if its stainless then why bother, correct? only reason i was thinking coating is because id hate to see the flange rot off and the pipe is still good. maybe i wont do stainless pipe and get it all coated? i have no experience or knowledge.

another silly question i have always wondered and is unrelated, How the hell do people make collectors. like how the hell do you get a weld all the way around each tube. or are they not welded in the center of the collector? how does it not leak?

maybe i should join a subi forum, but i cant stand most of the douchers that associate with subi's. i have to listen to a bunch of fags talk about the dumbest shit here at workall day long, and they all think they are experts at bolting on stickers i dont dare ask them anything
    Last edited by justtorchit; 03-15-2012, 08:22 AM.
    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
    some people choose video games
    some choose projects
    some choose welding random things together

The subarus are easy. The last one I built started with a dc sports header. Then we built a new uppipe to the turbo. You need to make sure you have good support on it. We used sch10 stainless pipe to build most of that stuff.
    Heres a few pics of the setup

and how it finally ended up. This is after I left. I didnt work on this setup

Dan.
    2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
    www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Oh sweet jesus they are all sedona red!! Sorry I can't help you out andy, my exhaust was bolt on. Though if you're doing a downpipe make sure its bellmouth or a divorced pipe for the wastegate
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
        So im going to do my first little tig welding project. making an up and downpipe for a turbo. This is going to be for a subabru that is getting built right now. ive never really bothered looking into this stuff before so if i sound retarded... its cuz i am. The subaru is getting a rotated setup to get rid of the shitty stock design. maybe Dave, timmay, can chime in, whats the most logical way to do this?

so here are my questions.

the turbo inlet/outlet flanges i have found are mild steel. Im thinking of picking up some pre bent 3" stainless for the pipe. Is it fine to weld these 2 different metals together? (idk and i feel dumb, ive never worked with stainless)

Just weld it with stainless wire you will be fine.
        Basically when you weld dissimilar steels together stainless is good to use.

once it is welded is there somewhere i can get these coated? ceramic? jet coat? (idk what the fuck jet coating is, just heard these terms) is it even worth it to get coated? i mean if its stainless then why bother, correct? only reason i was thinking coating is because id hate to see the flange rot off and the pipe is still good. maybe i wont do stainless pipe and get it all coated? i have no experience or knowledge.

I know you can just don't know where never looked

another silly question i have always wondered and is unrelated, How the hell do people make collectors. like how the hell do you get a weld all the way around each tube. or are they not welded in the center of the collector? how does it not leak?

You weld the tubes together and all the space in between the tubes.
        Then you weld the collector all you need to do is run a bead on the outside where you can reach

maybe i should join a subi forum, but i cant stand most of the douchers that associate with subi's. i have to listen to a bunch of fags talk about the dumbest shit here at workall day long, and they all think they are experts at bolting on stickers i dont dare ask them anything
        ~Justin
        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Use 309 rod and it should be fine. The collector thing is a cunt. Some guys just bend tungsten and/or use a pencil torch. I don't. I try to design them so I can put them together.

Comment

See how I puddle the middle? I actually weld the inside too. I can't get farther down with a 17 torch.

The longer they are the harder it is to weld but the flow is better.
            Last edited by CSaddict; 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

dave.... everytime i see your work, i pitch a tent in my pants.
              Originally posted by Ktmracer419
              some people choose video games
              some choose projects
              some choose welding random things together

Comment

Working...
              X