Important Investments for motor refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important Investments for motor refresh

So im right in the middle of doing the build on my spare motor, it's a 4.0 out of a 89 xj with 104k. I'm having everything boiled out, porting/polishing the head, glaze breaking it, honing it. I was debating having the head shaved a bit but not sure if i wanna go that far into a build. What are some smart investments to help with fuel economy and still get better torque.

So far i have these on my list

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K68-232-4/

Going to attempt to get it to run a bit cooler
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMB-110-1090P/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLP-260-1762/

My totals:

Boil out everything and installed cam bearings $250
    Valve Job $240
    Cams and whatnot $340
    Oil pump ~60 with my work discount
    Water Pump $70
    Gasket Kit $86
    And im gonna say maybe another $100 in other needed things

So im at just below $1200 for a rebuild, sound reasonable?
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

More torque and better economy? Get a better torque converter too.
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Look into a better injector(better spray pattern), and a newer TB swap. Also if you did oalready purchase the water pump look into a flowcooler.
      Last edited by clean4drxj; 03-13-2012, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Im going to use my current water pump, it has like ~3000 miles on it. Im probably going to covert to a open cooling system which doesn't look too hard. How many core should i go with, i was thinking 3.

I've been planning on doing the for explorer v8 injectors because they have a better pattern and with the msd thats going in the jeep, i figure it would be worth it. Planning on going with a throttle body spacer, and porting out my current TB.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I've been told a 4.0 head doesn't have a lot of room for a serious port. hesco makes replacement heads and even an aluminum one that are supposed to be much better.

I'm throwing roller rockers on mine, just cause i think it'll be more efficient at higher rpms. You can get them on summit.

I've also heard of people throwing mustang injectors on them.
          Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 03-13-2012, 08:03 PM.
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I did mustang injectors on my last one, didn't notice any differences in power or fuel economy.
            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
            1999 sierra
            1967 M725 Big and Slow
            -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
              I've been told a 4.0 head doesn't have a lot of room for a serious port. hesco makes replacement heads and even an aluminum one that are supposed to be much better.

I'm throwing roller rockers on mine, just cause i think it'll be more efficient at higher rpms. You can get them on summit.

I've also heard of people throwing mustang injectors on them.
              The aluminum head is a way to go if you want to get rid of weight, increase compression(still running pump gas), more power and probabley slightly better fuel mileage.

Comment

http://www.perfectengine.com/Jeep_4_...th-rmj242b.htm

full gasket set, rings, rod bearings, and main bearings for $110

http://www.perfectengine.com/Jeep_4_...th-rcj242c.htm

pistons and rings for up to .040 over bore; rod, crank, and cam bearings; timing set; oil pump; freeze plug and gasket sets for $350
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Dont need pistons, the others are in great shape, gonna clean em up and throw them in. If i was planning on keeping this thing forever, i would put more into it, but i don't plan on it.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

3 core, check radiatorbarn.com it's all metal.

Comment

Being im going to have to buy injectors for this, i was looking into doing a injector with a 4 hole nozzle vs the stock 1 hole. So far i've heard the 2.4l Neon injectors (703's) have a better flow rate then doing the v8 injectors. Being i have a renix era, with just 1 o2 sensor, will doing a upgrade be beneficial? Putting in the msd 6a when i do the engine swap and keeping the K&N open air filter.

I've been researching the 2.4l injectors and it looks like it has a two pin connector vs the jeep which has a two flat pin spade style connector.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I've heard alot about people swapping in the 703's for the earlier xj's, as far as that MSD box goes.. you'd be better off with a good coil & set of wires(less problemattic).
                        I run the DUI kit in mine and it's been great, also allowed me run a larger gap with my spark plugs and when I installed it my jeep generally only cranked over once or twice before starting(did matter how long it sat).

Comment

I run the auto light wires, and i looked into a coil, but no one really makes a upgraded one for the older xj's

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Would there be any real benefit of replacing the stock header with a performance one? Looking into this one because it comes with everything to get me to the cat.
                            http://www.quadratec.com/products/77604_701.htm

Would that and the current flowmaster help with mpg/sound?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Working...
                            X