tj flare trimming and stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj flare trimming and stance

ok need to trim my fender flares right now so my 35s can stuff enough and not rub. want to do a scheme just like this i think it looks very professional for 2 hours with a dremel and masking tape:

here is me sitting now:

i think it would look real nice and be zero dollars and very functional. any opinions or suggestions?

now i DO have one question, i have wheels with 4.5in BS now and my rear tires rub my spring perches and other things, so i want to go to 3.75in or less BS. should i widen my stance or not? i probably will just want to see what people say and what possible repercussions i may run into that i am not seeing.
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

When I went to my new wheels I went from 4 3/4 back spacing to 4" on my new wheels and my tires were close to the perch in the rear. I put a 1.25" spider trax wheel spacer in and it corrected it. Now its back to the same stance as the d30.

Are you looking to do the trimming for more room between the tire/fender and or for looks?

Are you bumpstopped up front ?
    Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Where do you rub? Just on the flair or anywhere else? Triming that much of the flair seems like its just for show
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

ok, first off i'm not doing this at all for looks, i prefer the stock flare look to be honest. it is for stuffing and to alleviate rubbing.

my rears rub on the spring perches and the trackbar mount where it pokes out from the frame when i am at flex or making turns on hi traction areas in 4 low and everything sort of flexes around and moves back there. at full flex i also rub my rears on the plastic flares.

as for the front i think i have less rubbage(on the plastic flares) but i do rub and at turn i am sure it would be worse. do not rub on anything else up front.

also yes hench, i am looking for more room for full suspension compression. i have no bumpstops which yes i know i need to take care of and it will be taken care of soon but still i think i will need the extra space in there but not totally sure because i do rub a fair amount all around. even if i were to bumpstop i don't want to have a real long one, i'd rather get more compression i think outta the suspension so then i can keep tires on the ground better when i am flexing.

Comment

3.75" wheels will look nice, wider stance is nice, but also puts more stress on unit bearings out front.

with 4" BS wheels the only issue i ever ran into with 35x12.50 tires were slight rubbing on lower CA's (sidewall lugs would rub) on full turns and in the rear I would rub the very top of my flares in the rear slightly. I did run 6"wide flares in rear only though. for tire coverage and keep cops off my ass when they were behind me..

this is with right front tire 40" off the ground so its at max flex pretty much (rear bump stopped/swaybar connected). front flares are off in this pic but nothing ever came close to hitting them as tire tilts inwards. I ran stock flares in front

up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
          eliminator MJ - Sold
          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Even with my flat fenders in the front I am bumped alot. The trimming that guy did on his flares looks sweet. Definitely a cool different look, I just don't know if its going to make that much of a difference. I think bump stopping is the way to go
            Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post

here is me sitting now:

but your standing..........?
              -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
              -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
              -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
              -57 GMC Pickup
              -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
                ok, first off i'm not doing this at all for looks, i prefer the stock flare look to be honest. it is for stuffing and to alleviate rubbing.

my rears rub on the spring perches and the trackbar mount where it pokes out from the frame when i am at flex or making turns on hi traction areas in 4 low and everything sort of flexes around and moves back there. at full flex i also rub my rears on the plastic flares.

as for the front i think i have less rubbage(on the plastic flares) but i do rub and at turn i am sure it would be worse. do not rub on anything else up front.

also yes hench, i am looking for more room for full suspension compression. i have no bumpstops which yes i know i need to take care of and it will be taken care of soon but still i think i will need the extra space in there but not totally sure because i do rub a fair amount all around. even if i were to bumpstop i don't want to have a real long one, i'd rather get more compression i think outta the suspension so then i can keep tires on the ground better when i am flexing.
                i still think trying a set of 1.25" wheel spacers would be where to start. it would widen your stance and maybe prevent some rubbing. Then depending on what the tires hit when it flexed you could decide if you needed to trim.....

keep in mine stock tj fender flares are cheap and on craigslist all the time. so if you trimmed and really hated it that much...... it wouldnt be too $$$ of a mistake. But i think it looks cool!
                -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                -57 GMC Pickup
                -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

no wheels spacers for me, unnecessary money and id rather get a full set of wheels and keep the front wider than my rear slightly like it is. im gonna go ahead and do my trimming first, then hench i will obviously have to do bumpstop work there is no question about that so i will just take it from there and get some hockey pucks and the like unless you have any better ideas. what exactly did you do for your bumps?

Comment

Delrin solid tube or like plastic material will last longer than hockey pucks in most cases.

Comment

I'll take some pictures and post my bumpstops. I have a poly bump plus I used 2 hockey pucks on the bottom. Drilled a hole through them, welded a nut to the coil bucket and snugged them down. Wheeled like this for a while now. No problems with the pucks
                      Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Henchman View Post
                        I'll take some pictures and post my bumpstops. I have a poly bump plus I used 2 hockey pucks on the bottom. Drilled a hole through them, welded a nut to the coil bucket and snugged them down. Wheeled like this for a while now. No problems with the pucks
                        ok sounds good, it would help alot to see how exactly yours are set up. then i can get to work on it and get it right.

Comment

began drinking and forgot to take pictures. My bad. I'll get some pictures after work tomorrow lol
                          Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

lol no worries i hear ya. whenever you get around to it.

Comment

Working...
                            X