Turbo Cherokee Build Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Cherokee Build Questions

ANY LINKS AND INFO WILL BE OF GREAT HELP THANK YOU.

Heres the deal, theres a great deal of stupid turbo Honda's being built here, and mustangs and camaros oh and theres that one guy we all know thats oh so concerned with the god damned Rotary...... but.....Im a Jeep guy and decided im gonna build a remote mounted turbo XJ based off of 505 performances kit. Couple of questions regarding timing and fuel.... is there a way around buying an expensive ass piggy back system to acheive timing retardation.

Borg/Warner turbo internally gated.

Looking to run between 6-8 lbs of boost... What I wanna do is run a 2 bar map sensor. Any reason why this wont work....?

V8 Explorer injectors.

Im not looking to run a top mount w/a cooler. Its either gonna be non-inter-cooled ( which i have seen done prior) or FMIC ( never seen done yet) Figure with the stock air box, a/c compressor, condenser, battery running dual electric fans should leave a substantial amount of room to work with.

Stock internals. Im gonna pull the head and do the head gasket and manifold gaskets immdediately all the while inspecting for any potential problems from the get go.

A/C and Condensor are goin bye bye

Batterys being moved to the trunk.

Need as much feed back and knowledge as possible so anything and everything will be of help. Thanks.
    Last edited by BlackXJLtd; 02-15-2012, 07:03 PM.

Hopefully CSaddict will chime in but if not just search his build thread, there might be something useful in it for you.

Comment

Paging Dave callahan...
      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

In case any of you have an curiosity on this build im taking on heres a link to the album on my facebook

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=235558dcf8

any info, suggestions feel free to help me out.

( the exhaust in front of the pan does clear the steering components but its super close... might bb it 2 inchs so the drag link and track bar are angled out of the way)

Comment

My yj has been turbo'd for 2 years now with the help of Dave. Ching chong turbo and external wastegate. 6 pounds of boost a FMU and booster pump. Runs good, scares people.

Comment

you running it intercooled on your YJ or no ?

Comment

Stock V8 injectors are 19lb? Those wont work. You need 32lb or bigger to do it all with stock fuel pressure. The 2 bar map thing is a bullshit myth no one has ever truely shown works and most of those end up blowing up. Wonder why. Stock timing is fine because of the shitty intake design that heat soaks to shit and then the stock ECM pulls all the timing out. garbage.

Get an AEM, 36lbs injectors, Walbro 255 pump and call it a day. People seem to always try to cheap out fuel management. That's where the money is best spent.

Comment

Or do what Pete and I did. RRFPR, high pressure pump, colder plugs and keep an eye on the wideband for a while. Pete's is very reliable and I see no issues with it.

Comment

Pm boostwerks on naxja, they sell the components and have an awesome writeup on how to source your own stuff and install
                  1992 xj Briarwood
                  Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
                  Welded front and rear
                  13' LED roof lights
                  Disco ball
                  Truck nuts
                  Spinners

Comment

was really trying to avoid buying the AEM .... due to the fact its kind of a budget toy but if i have to im gonna take your word for it...defs gonna be trial an error.

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMT View Post
                      Pm boostwerks on naxja, they sell the components and have an awesome writeup on how to source your own stuff and install
                      Bryson and I have talked a lot about it. That's why he went with the AEM. His manifold Im not too sure about. The fitment doesn't seem right at all.

Comment

Not intercooled yet, will be. Wideband has always showing running really good with the right about of fuel. Anymore air I'm sure it would lean out. Heat is the problem, I did hood vents but it still gets stupid hot under the hood. Jeep has never left me stranded.

Comment

was there any particular reason for going with an external waste gate over the internal one i have.

Comment

The internal don't have the flow to keep up and tend to creep.

Comment

was just curious

Comment

Working...
                              X