Thick cut gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick cut gears?

So I'm going to be gearing my waggy d44's to 4.88 this winter. I have a few different options that I could go with but don't know what would be best. I want to save money but don't want to shoot myself in the foot for the future.

1. Get new carriers for the numerically higher ratio and then get 4.88 gears. The carriers are $95 each and I need two, $180. Then the yukon gears would cost me $420. Total of $610

2. I stick with the stock carriers and get thick cut gears. Total of $490.

(I used the prices from East Coast Gear Supply for comparing prices but have found some better prices around)

I don't know much about thick cut gears, only how some people on the internet have ran them with no problems for years, so it could be false.

If I go with a full case locker in the future I want to make sure any gears I get would be compatible. I assume that I would just order the locker for the numerically lower gears.

Thanks

I don't know if they make all ratios in thick cut so check availability like for 5.38 if you ever plan on going that deep.

Some axles like ford 8.8 and 8.25 dana50 etc don't have carrier breaks they are all thick cut. Then some don't offer thick cut like D30
    Thin cut is lighter you don't have an extra 1/4-1/2" of steel in the ring gear.
    No performance difference so run what you want.

Thick cut gears are more expensive but not as much as a new carrier.
    personally I go with thin cut.

hope that helps.
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I'm just looking to get the most out of my money. So I think I will get the thick cut since there's no downsides and it saves me $120. I'm trying to do a lot with a little money but not cut corners.

Comment

use stock carrier and think cut, i'm buying a detriot and 5.13'a for my d60 and the only gears i can even find are thick cut
        1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

While looking for the best price on the gears I came across alljeep.com and in the description is said that you have to ream out the carrier ring gear holes to 7/16. I have never heard about doing this, its not on any other websites. Is this normal to have to do?

All Yukon Ring & Pinion sets come standard with a one-year warranty. This is a thick ring & pinion for use on a 3.73 and down carrier. Carrier ring gear bolt holes must be reamed to 7/16

Comment

I've only seen the note before just make sure you get the correct bolts to go with it.
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
              I've only seen the note before just make sure you get the correct bolts to go with it.
              I have only seen it on this one site which is what had me wondering. I think its old information, I would figure that other sites would say the same thing if it was still true.

Found this jeepforum thread which is kinda helpful, One person says that they are double drilled for both sizes.
              http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...-rubi-1219082/

Anyway, I will confirm when ordering. Yukon doesn't even have thick cut 4.88's on their site anymore, they have 4.56 though. I just don't want it to raise the price of the gear install to much, I don't know how much work is involved though.
              Last edited by cherokee-at-16; 12-12-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Im pretty sure they have them for the 44, I know they do for the 60's, but check out www.justdifferentials.com. I have been buying all my stuff from them lately, customer service is great and they seem to have good stuff, never heard anything bad about nitro yet.
                They also had some of the best price when i bought my 30/8.25 4.88's.
                Dan.
                2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Working...
                X