Detroit truetrac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit truetrac

Looking for some feedback,and opinions about putting one of these Detroit truetrac in my Dana 30. Has anyone used these? The reason I am looking into these is because my wj has both full and part time 4wd, and I would like to still be able to use this on the road during the winter. My rear is locked with a spartan. I'm not really in the budget to buy a selectable yet
    Thanks
    04 WJ, 6.5 inch lift on 35'' MTR/K, Clayton long arms,locked
    Jon

This is just my opinion, but if I were you, I would save up a little bit extra and get a selectable. Sure, its not a huge issue but driving in the snow might be a little annoying if the front is more 'locked' then factory. Keep in mind that in deep snow an auto locker will not typically open. Just some food for thought.

If I had to do it all again I would go selectable. Sure its a little extra money but personally I think it was worth it

Comment

Ask Ben Clark (Tjramplebump) or Scott Chickos about them. Ben has Scott's old front one.
      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I ran the truetrac in my LP dana 30 for 6 months or so, it was nice in the winter compared to my front spartan. Install was a little more pricey because its a full case carrier, but it was quiet and didnt make much noise. Do you really need a front locker tho? your jeep is pretty capable as is, with a front traction aid youll be finding your self getting into more trouble . There were 2 reason i switched from a limited slip to a locker. One being you really cant compare it to a locker especially when you start to get in situations were you have one tire off the ground and it wont really spin the other. And two the true trac is a strong unit..... wish i could say the same about the ring gear lol.
        Last edited by Schickos881; 01-02-2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Ok, cool, neither of them have full time 4wd
          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

well here is my situation I currently have a dana 35 in the rear and I just recently purchased a Dana 44HD with the aluminum center section, which is a bolt in option for the WJ,and a spartan and Those come factory geared to 3.73. I am currently geared to 3.55, when i went to 32's my jeep slowed down a little, so i either have to re-gear the front and get no locker, and have to buy a new carrier because i am just where the split is in ratios for the carriers. Or i could spend a little extra money and get the true trac and have a limited slip and I would be quite content with that because my jeep is my DD. then not have to worry about buying a new carrier, or just re-gear the 44a to 3.55 which would aslo require me buying a new carrier. Which I don't really want to do because I will be going to 33's someday.
            Jon

Comment

Just gear both of them once and be done with it. Either way, you`ll have to gear one of them to 3.55 or 3.73. When you`re ready to go to 33`s the Jeep will be ready, plus there I dont think you`ll notice a huge difference between 32 and 33`s so just gear for the 33`s.
              I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

I just scraped a wj 30 with 373s....
                -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

For the price of used d30 and 3.73 being stock probably cheaper than regearing.
                  Also you have AWD is it the 242? 242 has an open diff you could run miss match ratios for a while. (does it have 2H 4H 4full time N 4L)
                  249 and 247 full time 4wd definately cannot have different ratios.
                  04 I beleive has the 247 clutch pack better design than the 249 in my eyes.

true track is just a limited slip that basically uses really inefficent spider gears so adds resistance instead of a clutch back so they don't wear out as fast but it is still a limited slip not a locker.
                  Good for snow but that's about it.

Look into the yukon Zipper locker a little cheaper than ARB.

If you want to do the work I will give you a D44 3.55 with carrier for your low speed carrier or $50 whatever you works for you.
                  I'll double check the ratios I have, but I definately have D44 high speed carriers. and a couple gear sets.

I would deffinately not run an auto locker in the front on a AWD only vehicle?
                  Last edited by customcreationsllc; 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM.
                  RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                  www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                  Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I have the select trac so i have 2h 4part time 4 fulltime neutral and 4lo. So I could run different gear ratios with the 2wd, And the 4 fulltime, but thats it. Also the WJ's dont have regular axle shafts in the front like your average U joint They're like a cv with a rubber boot, would I be able to run pretty much any dana 30 with regular u joints or does it need the Cv style?
                    Jon

Comment

wj d30's are a different width than zj/tj/xj/yj d30's so you need wj specific axle shafts
                      I drive a Datsun

Comment

Working...
                      X