Full float 44?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full float 44?

im ordering my rear ARB tommorow and im wondering if its worth it to get a 33 spline Locker and make the rear a full float
    how hard is this?
    is it worth it?
    what would i need to do?
    2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
    97' zj
    2012 surbra imperza DD
    im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

I belive dana has a full float 44 rear, prototype from nineteenohshit or sumthin. But its a pretty sweet setup. Ill let him chime in But I think its probably more money than the strength is worth.
    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
    some people choose video games
    some choose projects
    some choose welding random things together

Comment

you can technically get a front 44 and machine the spindles and weld them to the tube ends. and then use the hubs for the rear.

There are companies that make full float kits for dana 44's. I know of a couple people that run them.

It'd be a mild pain though cause you'd need to use a front 44 centersection because it is machined for inner seals for the tubes. A semifloat centersection isn't machined for inner seals at the carrier because the gear oil flows up the tube to lubricate the wheel bearings.

A better option would be the 35 spline ARB for the 44 and replace the bearing cups for the set 20 ones. This way you could run dana 60 35 spline semifloat shafts. which would be wintastic.

Note: you can also buy the 33 spline chromos for the 44 with that locker. We did this setup on a customers TJ.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Yeah, but will the be the correct length? How different are the TJ 44s from the Waggy 44s?
        sigpic
        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
          you can technically get a front 44 and machine the spindles and weld them to the tube ends. and then use the hubs for the rear.

There are companies that make full float kits for dana 44's. I know of a couple people that run them.

It'd be a mild pain though cause you'd need to use a front 44 centersection because it is machined for inner seals for the tubes. A semifloat centersection isn't machined for inner seals at the carrier because the gear oil flows up the tube to lubricate the wheel bearings.

A better option would be the 35 spline ARB for the 44 and replace the bearing cups for the set 20 ones. This way you could run dana 60 35 spline semifloat shafts. which would be wintastic.

Note: you can also buy the 33 spline chromos for the 44 with that locker. We did this setup on a customers TJ.
          i couldnt find cromo shafts for a waggy rear 44 areyou atound this week? i need help with my truss
          97' zj
          2012 surbra imperza DD

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
            Yeah, but will the be the correct length? How different are the TJ 44s from the Waggy 44s?
            hmmm didn't think of this. Idk if they make 6 lug cut to fits....

Originally posted by hoggie101 View Post
            i couldnt find cromo shafts for a waggy rear 44 areyou atound this week? i need help with my truss
            it's finals week, so i will let you know. I'm working alot too, we are swamped getting ready for the holiday/new years sale. I'll let you know. I need to do scott's truss too.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

hmmm didn't think of this. Idk if they make 6 lug cut to fits....

Zullo, wtf, you're slacking. Didn't think of it? C'mooon. The two shafts themselves have almost a 3" difference between them, it's weird as hell.

I told him he may have to just break down and get custom shafts made...but I also told him the stock shafts would work just fine. Up to him if he wants to spend the cash, but I think the front shafts are more important.
              sigpic

Comment

IMO stock setup on a rear 44 is fine for 35s unless you drive like an attention whore
                - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                Originally posted by DizzDizz
                aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                  IMO stock setup on a rear 44 is fine for 35s unless you drive like an attention whore
                  Bam.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    its.not my fault my rev limiter sounds cool

ill just kept a set of spares
                    97' zj
                    2012 surbra imperza DD

Comment

i twisted splines on stock d44 shafts but they never broke on me. And that thing took some abuse.

You're more likely to bend the wms and have a wobbly wheel before you snap a shaft.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

i have twisted splines on mine as well

run the stock stuff, get 1 set of spares, win at life
                        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                        Originally posted by DizzDizz
                        aliens probed my husband

Comment

i twisted splines on stock d44 shafts but they never broke on me. And that thing took some abuse.

You're more likely to bend the wms and have a wobbly wheel before you snap a shaft.
                          The reason I refuse to even consider Alloys. Will bent a Yukon (IIRC) Alloy and Zullo ran stock shafts and I don't think I have half the foot he has
                          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

I spun the stock shafts too, I didnt really trust it so I got alloys.
                            -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Zullo also jumped the thing on asphalt and somehow made it all the way to the Tappan Zee without anything seriously coming apart.

Matt, for the love of Christ, just stick with the stock axles.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X