Couple axle questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple axle questions.

Hey guys, haven't been on here in a while. Not much has changed besides me being married, and I don't have my xj anymore. I ran into alot of trouble with it and turned it into someone else's problem. I picked up an 87 yj for free from a friend of mine. Its in great shape with about 135000 on the original 4.2 i6. My question is, I want to swap out the 35 and LP 30 out and I just don't know if I can swap in a hp 30 cuz the one I have in there is a vacuum disco one. Could I just swap like an 8.25 and HP 30 in without any issue or is there something I have to do to the 30? I'm saying the 8.25 because I can easily get a 29whole spline with the gears I want for next to nothing... thanks for any info.
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

YJ's generally have HP's, you can swap in cherokee axles if you buy sping perches and move them accordingly, that vacum disco is a pita in most cases anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I suppose ill have to look into it a little more, I thought they came with lps but obviously I couldve overlooked it. I havent really torn into the jeep at all, I have no time and its just sitting in my driveway for now. Once I get some time ill have to get under it and check out my options more thoroughly.

Comment

I have a HPD60 I you can easily get to fit.
        But even a Vac Disco should work. YJ came with Disco axles.
        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
          I have a HPD60 I you can easily get to fit.
          But even a Vac Disco should work. YJ came with Disco axles.
          Really dont want to ton my dd/ww. Too much work and money. However, I will be talking to you soon about locker installs when I do get the axles figured out

Comment

Best bet is to get an 8.8 out a 96 explorer(4.10s) and a 4banger yj front and call it a day!

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
              Best bet is to get an 8.8 out a 96 explorer(4.10s) and a 4banger yj front and call it a day!
              This is my plan. As of right now im picking up a non vacuum 30 and a 35 with 4.10s tomorrow for $100 out of a 95 yj. Ill swap those in and run 31s to dd it until I find a good price on an 8.8 with 4.10s. Then ill lock it, swap it in, get 33s and a lift and that will be my starting point. Anybody know why there are trac bars in the rears of these mysterious creatures they call "wranglers"? I wanna ditch it but idk if its there for a reason, or if its the same as the sway bars. If its not causing the jeep to spontaneously combust ill have no problem ditching it. Im just so unfamiliar with these friggin jeeps.

Comment

You can ditch it.
                pan hard does exactly what you would think it does it adds a little stiffness to the suspension instead of relying strictly on the shackles from keeping the axle from shifting right to left it helps for on road drive-ability but limits suspension travel if you were road racing you would want to leave it on.
                If it isn't hurting anything just leave it. If you are swapping axles and it doesn't have the mount I would just leave it off.
                There are a ton of leaf sprung vehicles without pan hard bars.

If your ever down this way I have two outer of the inner Disco shafts I'll give you.

If you go with a fuel cell you can easily stretch the wheel base 3 inches in the rear maybe you can still fit a little D35 with the gas tank.
                Just cut off the frame spring perch and move it back not hard.
                Then drill a hole in the back of the frame and weld in a tube fore the shackle bushing.
                then if you ever do any suspension work look into front shackle reversal but with slider boxes I found that to be the best. You need a long travel drive shaft with shackle reversal.

I would just lock the front and run cutting brakes in the rear and compete class 1 RCrocs.
                RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Im only keeping the 35 until I get an 8.8 to build. I was asking because the 35 im picking up has a broken mount. Im not gonna worry about it, ill just ditch it. I didnt run sway bars in my xj and it was fine, I dont think ill miss a rear tracbar.

Comment

I've been in a YJ with no trackbars at all and it was fine on 35's but I guess it would also depend on how good your spring bushings/shackle bushings were.

Comment

They seem to be fine. I built some lift shackles and when I installed them the existing bushings look great. The guy I got the jeep from was old and all he did was DD it to work and home. I don't think its ever even seen the highway. Whenever they took long trips they took his wife's car so there's literally minimal wear on everything.

Comment

Working...
                      X