5.38s for a ford 8.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.38s for a ford 8.8?

is it possible to get gears in this ratio for it? everywhere i look it jumps from 5.13 to 5.71.

pretty set i will need 5.13s but still was curious cuz if i need that little extra boost thats what id want, preferably not jump to 5.71.....
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

i believe Currie makes a 5.40.

They make a "shannon campbell" low pinion 3rd member that comes with 5.40's (designed to run upside-down for rear engine). All of currie's 9" gear sets are actually 8.8" R & P sets.

That would be the first place i'd check or call.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

so zullo youre saying that if i ordered a 9" set its exactly the same as the 8.8? that seems wierd... but could be just the ticket for me.

i think the 5.13s should be good, its slightly over stock rpms witht he 35s for me but with extra weight added and what not maybe one ratio more would be best. i am leaving the front at 4.88 though so i would prefer not to gap it too much up to the 5.71.

Comment

Ummm.....you arent reallly thinking of running 4.88s in front and 5.38s in the rear are you??
        - 99TJ 4.0 4.5 RE springs, Clayton 5in LA stretch, GenRight Armor, 35x12.50 bfg mt, currie hp9 rear w/ 35 spline detroit, hp44 w/ arb and 4340 axles, k/n fipk, banks headers, warn xd9000i

Comment

yeah, thats a big ol no-go
          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
          Originally posted by DizzDizz
          aliens probed my husband

Comment

No, he should totally do it, I love it when Tcases split in half.
            sigpic
            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

yea.... I'm sure justin will jump in here at some point.

Running different gear ratios is good for about one thing and that's competing, because all it really does is aid in making very tight turns by allowing the front tires to rotate alittle bit faster.

Even then the difference between ratios is about 10%, 4.88's/5.13's would be a good setup, but thats only IF you needed it and had the right setup to run different ratios.

Having a higher ratio in your front axle will mean it is digging all the time with 35's and a dana 30. That's a no go, it will blow up x100000000, undoubtedly. If you had a dana 60, thats a different story.

Also, most of the people that do this are using a gear driven case like a dana 300 or an atlas, those tcases are much stronger and will not "give" as much. With a chain driven case (np231) that binding of different speeds could cause the chain to deflect and not only stretch it but also destroy the bearings in the case as well.

Basically, ambitious idea to try different ratios, but for the pain it is going to cause you the benefit will not be worth it. You will go through dana 30 u-joints and np231's like its your job.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Originally posted by konastinky1234 View Post
                so zullo youre saying that if i ordered a 9" set its exactly the same as the 8.8? that seems wierd....
                I'm not 100% certain. And not all 9" gear sets. Currie makes their own nodular 3rd members and i have been told they use the 8.8 gear set, it may only be the high pinion ones though. Thats something you would have to confirm.

I know that their 9" dropouts use a pinion support and the 3rd support bearing on the pinion after the teeth, which would mean the pinion itself is different than a standard 8.8 pinion. I'd search it on pirate and if nothing, give currie a call they should be able to give you a deff answer.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

ok thanks for the info guys, and i would not have thought of running 2 different ratios other than the fact that justin recommended it to me. maybe it is not the right route to take but it seemed alright to me as long as i was careful about where i am using 4 wheel. i figured using 4 wheel only in the places i needed it would be fine for the setup and it seemed like justin thought the same. maybe he meant it in another context so i could be wrong if he thought i was running a stronger front end or trying to build a comp rig.

so basically my truck would be DD with good wheeling abilities, nothing out of this world. for this i figured:

2wd on pavement=fine obviously w/5.13 rear 4.88 front
                  in snow most 2wd=fine with the aid of a rear locker
                  in snow when i need it 4wd=fine since traction is so low the ratios wouldnt matter
                  on the trails 2wd for any access stuff=fine
                  in tough crawling type trails 4wd=thought it would be fine since traction is always changing and slipping on dirt and what not but you guys seem to think no go

with this setup i was also gonna get the 2lo fork for the 231 so i could relieve alot of stress at times.

other than that setup i think i may be SOL since 4.88s are gonna be rough for powering 35s on the road since thats as deep as i can go in the front unless i keep my low pinion 30 which i dont want to do really since i just got a nice hp with beefed up steering.

anyone please jump in on this since i may need a new plan now for my build.

Comment

and if the 4.88/5.13 ends up being out of my plan were gonna have to compile some ideas to give my squirrels some power to turn 35s lol

Comment

ok thanks for the info guys, and i would not have thought of running 2 different ratios other than the fact that justin recommended it to me. maybe it is not the right route to take but it seemed alright to me as long as i was careful about where i am using 4 wheel. i figured using 4 wheel only in the places i needed it would be fine for the setup and it seemed like justin thought the same. maybe he meant it in another context so i could be wrong if he thought i was running a stronger front end or trying to build a comp rig.

so basically my truck would be DD with good wheeling abilities, nothing out of this world. for this i figured:

2wd on pavement=fine obviously w/5.13 rear 4.88 front
                      in snow most 2wd=fine with the aid of a rear locker
                      in snow when i need it 4wd=fine since traction is so low the ratios wouldnt matter
                      on the trails 2wd for any access stuff=fine
                      in tough crawling type trails 4wd=thought it would be fine since traction is always changing and slipping on dirt and what not but you guys seem to think no go

with this setup i was also gonna get the 2lo fork for the 231 so i could relieve alot of stress at times.

other than that setup i think i may be SOL since 4.88s are gonna be rough for powering 35s on the road since thats as deep as i can go in the front unless i keep my low pinion 30 which i dont want to do really since i just got a nice hp with beefed up steering.

anyone please jump in on this since i may need a new plan now for my build.
                      If the vehicle is going to see any street time, do not get multiple ratios. Justin's rig was trailered and he competed in RCRocs at Rausch Creek, it was strictly offroad with the axle setup.
                      sigpic
                      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

ya i know justin's rig was trailered and the nature of all that. now it was my understanding that if youre seeing street time or anything for that matter it would not matter what ratio was in the axle that was not engaged (ie using 2wd on the road).

or does this practice put stress on the t case even when the front axle would not be engaged?

Comment

best bet is to get a 44 front and gear both

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                            best bet is to get a 44 front and gear both
                            ya thats outta my wallets spending range for a few years..... just bought a front 30 so i guess im gonna be suffering with 4.88s......

Comment

ya thats outta my wallets spending range for a few years..... just bought a front 30 so i guess im gonna be suffering with 4.88s......

just get 34 inch tires
                              -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
                              -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
                              -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
                              -57 GMC Pickup
                              -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Working...
                              X