opinions on new paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on new paint?

highly considering spray painting my jeep soon. current color is emerald green from the factory, i love this color but i cant see myself spending the money for a professional paint job just to fuck it up again.. so the color im looking towards now is duplicolor engine enamel in "cast iron".

recently saw this jeep at the quadratec tent sale with this paint and it looks even better in person.

his user name on NAXJA is "hammered" stole a few pics i found there.

picked a can up after work today and did a little color test on a peice of door from my halfdoor project. ended up with this.

its got kind of a greenish tint to it in person, not sure if you can tell much in the pictures. looks awesome for a rattle can.

opinions?

i didnt realize you had emerald pearl until now...

dont be a traitor to the pearl..im having mine resprayed next season
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
      i didnt realize you had emerald pearl until now...

dont be a traitor to the pearl..im having mine resprayed next season
      emerald pearl is my favorite. has been since before i got my jeep. thats why i didnt already pull the trigger.. its been on my mind for a while now.

pearl in decent condition=

but with clear coat chipping all over, trail damage and dicks/curse words scratched in the paint from being muddy and friends drawing on it isnt really cutting it anymore..

i want something i can touch up and not care about fucking up like i would a new emerald pearl coat

Comment

dont be a traitor to the pearl
        x2
        2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
        1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

IMO its not worth painting a Jeep thats going to see offroad time. My black XJ has been mint in the paint and body department for the last 5 years. Ask anyone. The more I started to wheel seriously and build a better Jeep the more you find youself in situations where you are going to scratch your paint or worse because your Jeep can do bigger and better trails. I just think its a waste of money if you plan on wheeling it personally. Not saying I beat the shit out of my body but after the first time you get too close to that tree limb your back to square 1 again.

Although if I had emerald green I would want to paint it over with anything else
          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
            Although if I had emerald green I would want to paint it over with anything else

Comment

IMO its not worth painting a Jeep thats going to see offroad time. My black XJ has been mint in the paint and body department for the last 5 years. Ask anyone. The more I started to wheel seriously and build a better Jeep the more you find youself in situations where you are going to scratch your paint or worse because your Jeep can do bigger and better trails. I just think its a waste of money if you plan on wheeling it personally. Not saying I beat the shit out of my body but after the first time you get too close to that tree limb your back to square 1 again.

dont listen to Jon...he has 1 scratch on his paint and he got it the last time we wheeled a few weeks ago, and hes had the jeep 5 years.

my paint is completely scratched up and im still having the emerald resprayed next season if possible. ive had it off road in the woods since 2004.

i am doing the doors, front fenders, hood, and header panel. the rear hatch is in fine shape, the roof is covered in a cage, and my rear 1/4 is covered in armor (as well as 1/4 of my doors)

painting the portions makes the most sense to me on a wheeling jeep, wont break the bank, and is easy (all of those items can be easily removed for painting). afterall those portions are the ones that get scratched normally anyway.

just my opinion. why settle? if it scratches it scratches. this paint job lasted 7 years and would still be considered acceptable to most on a wheeling jeep.
              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

You're just lucky you have a color that doesn't show up as bad. I've worked hard to try to keep that paint fresh and it has a lot more then one scratch but I do compound most of them out. I'm still pissed I put a dent in my 1/4 a day before the armor went on
                I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

or go the phil route and touchup with primer
                  - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

or go the phil route and touchup with primer
                    It's great when the factory color of your jeep is Primer with metal flakes in it.

I got a new hood and painted it primer grey and the shit looks like stock.
                    sigpic
                    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I like it; spray it, scratch it, dent it, repeat.
                      2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

paint sucks. go stainless
                        I drive a Datsun

Comment

buy a gun and teach yourself how to spray

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                            buy a gun and teach yourself how to spray
                            i sprayed one of my spare rear doors (halfdoor project) and put it on the jeep and it just wasnt the same..

so think i might go this route seeing how simple it is. i helped/watched my buddys dad who does autobody for a living repaint his truck on monday in their garage.

he said he would help spray it if i just did most of the prep work

Comment

You're just lucky you have a color that doesn't show up as bad. I've worked hard to try to keep that paint fresh and it has a lot more then one scratch but I do compound most of them out. I'm still pissed I put a dent in my 1/4 a day before the armor went on
                              was your jeep at LII a few weeks ago? i think i saw it when i picked my axle up.

if so..way to pretty to have owned & "wheeled" for 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X