replacing yoke on D60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing yoke on D60

My 1350 yoke showed up today, is replacing the yoke as simple as untorqueing, replace pinion seal, then retorque?

As long as the 60 is not a crush sleeve type axle then yea, the rotational drag should be all set and you shouldn't have to touch it. Recommended to replace pinion nut but you should be fine without it. Don't forget to use locktight. Your not re-gearing these axles?

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
      As long as the 60 is not a crush sleeve type axle then yea, the rotational drag should be all set and you shouldn't have to touch it. Recommended to replace pinion nut but you should be fine without it. Don't forget to use locktight. Your not re-gearing these axles?
      Yea i'm going to re-gear to 5.13 or 5.38 haven't decided yet, this won't be happening for a little while though. Budget won't allow it right this second.

How would i know if it is a crush sleeve axle? It's a full float 60 out of a 79 f250 if that helps at all.
      Last edited by Even; 03-25-2009, 10:46 PM.

Comment

its not a crush sleeve

just torque it to spec
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

bump for i can not figure how the fuck to hold onto the yoke while i untorque the pinion nut

Comment

is the axle assembled except for the yoke? if so, put the god damn tires on the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
              is the axle assembled except for the yoke? if so, put the god damn tires on the ground

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

The tires are on the ground and the old yoke is still on, I have to take it off. The problem is my impact gun is 1/2" drive and the socket is 3/4 so i was trying to use a long ratchet with a steel tube. The tires arent moving but there is still too much play in the yoke to turn the nut.

Comment

get a 3/4 to 1/2" adapter

i had to buy one of those and grind down a socket just for 60 pinion nuts

don't waste anymore time trying to get it off with a breaker bar. shits been there for 30 years.

we had wills tires chocked and in 4wd in park i was spinning his rear tires on the ground with a breaker bar, said fuck it. drove to rhode island, grabbed my impact and air compressor, and drove back to fairfield to finish the job

Comment

fact
                    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                    Originally posted by DizzDizz
                    aliens probed my husband

Comment

i put a breaker bar on it, wedged it on the ground, and backed up the jeep.

Comment

you can get way more torque with a long breaker bar or a ratchet then you can ever get with an impact gun.

Use a pipe wrench on the yoke if it isn't long enough then get a pipe on it.

They also make plates with multiple bolt patterns that bolt onto the yoke via the strap bolts the plate has a short pipe welded to it you put a pipe
                        This is need on the CV style yokes like on the later jeep front axles.

You can try having someone stand on the brakes.
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                          i put a breaker bar on it, wedged it on the ground, and backed up the jeep.
                          x2 easiest way to do it
                          Originally posted by Fast Orange
                          if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
                          Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                          I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

Big pipe wrench around the yoke, let the pipe wrench hit the ground. If it doesn't reach the ground add bar.

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                              you can get way more torque with a long breaker bar or a ratchet then you can ever get with an impact gun.
                              Yeah but it's like a different kind of torque. I remember when I was doing lawn mower blades it was almost impossible to do it with a breaker bar because it would spin the whole pulley system. The Impact had enough like instant torque to break the bolt loose, and wouldn't spin the pulleys.
                              1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                              1999 sierra
                              1967 M725 Big and Slow
                              -Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X