steering question, high steer or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering question, high steer or not

So im in the middle of 44 front for a yota, and im at teh point where im not sure what to do for the steering.

Option 1: get a Y link steering kit and bend the drag link so it runs under and clears the leaf springs. it would be a very small amount because the pitman arm is only a few inches higher than the knuckle. My question is, if this is a good idea. i always here people hating on "z shaped draglinks" but from what i see it is only because people do it for rediculous amounts of lift. im only doing it to clear the leaf springs.

Option 2: flat top knuckle, highsteer arm, and run the drag link over the leaf. little more time consuming, but it will work nicely in the end.

any opinions on option 1?
    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
    some people choose video games
    some choose projects
    some choose welding random things together

I'm no expert but option 2 sounds like a easier/ better idea.

Comment

im more looking for reasons not to do option 1.

means i dont need to get a knuckle machined (idk where to go for that), dont need to find a single highsteer arm (seems like they are a package deal everywhere), ball joints in the flat top knukcle are shitty, so i would need new ball joints.

keep in mind that the highsteer was my original plan anyways and what i will probably do, but now that i have the axle in place and set up it seams like a slight bend in a drag link would clear over the top of the drivers leafspring and under the passangers leafs spring, saving money and time.... so why not?
      Originally posted by Ktmracer419
      some people choose video games
      some choose projects
      some choose welding random things together

Comment

Try it.. if you have clearance issues go with option 2

Comment

Option 1 will work just fine. Had that on my old CJ and a steeper angle than what you are talking about. You get a little bump steer but most people wouldn't notice anyways.
          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
          X