need of upgraded gear ratios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need of upgraded gear ratios?

So I just bought a stock 2000 xj with a blown head gasket and plan on lifting it with the 5.5" long arm RE kit.

So to start off with a few questions...can I stuff 35's under a 5.5" lift? If so, will it be easy or will I need to trim a lot?

Also, with those 35's, would I need to upgrade my gears whether I go on or offroad right away or can it wait?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    97 Chevy Blazer LT 2" Body lift, 2" Suspension lift, 31" General Grabbers AT2. Sold
    96 Jeep XJ Classic 6.5" RC lift with 33" Duratracs. Sold
    00 Jeep XJ Sport 4.5" lift 33" BFG MudTerrains

im a tj guy so i dont know about trimming much, butfor gears you may want to go a few ratios deeper depending on what exactly youre doing. you will notice a decrease in power but it all depends on how much youre willing to deal with-this goes for on road driving. for example i have a 2.5l tj on 33s that i drive around town on 4:10s. this is seriously underpowered but for me, livable. however i do want to and am upgrading to 4.88s soon which will get me to around stock power level when i have 35s on the truck. also manual or auto transmission is a factor, if youre in a manual it may be mroe livable because you can control the shift points more, that may be what does it for me.

as far as offroad goes your crawl ratio will get faster, which is worse for crawling. but with an auto you may not care much. i have manual so that isimportant to me to have a low ratio. never wheeled an auto so again you may have to try it out first as is with those gears and see hwo you like it then re evaluate from there.

anyone correct me if i am wrong, and add o pinions so we can try to get this guy pointed in the right direction.
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

I would deff do 4.88 when I had stock gears 3.55 on 33 it was a dog around town it was ok on the highway it down shifted a lot and did have much crawling in 4 low. Im sitting on 3 in lift with 33 and flares cut off. Im actually going to 35 on 5.5 of lift

Comment

no matter what sized tire you'll need to trim(33's or 35's) you can run 35's on 4.5 inches and it's tried and true. AS far as gears go I plan on going with 4.56's but also plan on a 35 AT tire for mostly street. so if you plan on driving this on the street alot go with 4.56's or if it's a wheeler go with 4.88's
        Last edited by clean4drxj; 09-07-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blazerguy912 View Post
          So I just bought a stock 2000 xj with a blown head gasket and plan on lifting it with the 5.5" long arm RE kit.

So to start off with a few questions...can I stuff 35's under a 5.5" lift? If so, will it be easy or will I need to trim a lot?

Also, with those 35's, would I need to upgrade my gears whether I go on or offroad right away or can it wait?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
          my jeep when you came to my house to buy my tires was sitting on 35's at 5.5 inches. im lowering it to 4.5 and still keeping my 35's lol. oh and im doing a three link

also i have 4:10's but i drive alot of highway so it helps cause i get like 22 mpg. but if i could do it again i would do 4:88
          Last edited by DizzDizz; 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM.
          Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by fizzy View Post
            i have 4:10's but i drive alot of highway so it helps cause i get like 22 mpg.
            lies
            Originally posted by Ktmracer419
            some people choose video games
            some choose projects
            some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
              lies
              i can prove it to you if you'd like
              Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

please do.
                some choose projects

Comment

well you and i will go on a trip to rausch and i will prove it. i'll fill up and get there with just above a halfa a tank and then wheel then fill up and come back home
                  Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

well you and i will go on a trip to rausch and i will prove it. i'll fill up and get there with just above a halfa a tank and then wheel then fill up and come back home
                    be sure to have a tail wind and coast the downhills. dont belive it till i see quantitative data.

i drive a minty fresh jeep highway all day. 31s and 3.55s prolly comparable to ur 4.10s and 35s...my gas milage didnt go up from when it was stock.
                    some choose projects

Comment

i has upgraded fuel system as well. someone hacked the old one together so i built a whole system with an fittings and fancy parts and filters and such. it always seems to come in around 20-22 mpgs
                      Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

i has upgraded fuel system as well. someone hacked the old one together so i built a whole system with an fittings and fancy parts and filters and such. it always seems to come in around 20-22 mpgs
                        wtf does fancy AN fittings and filters have to do with your fuel economy? please fill me in. did you put an in-line flux capacitor in too?
                        some choose projects

Comment

yes it helps with the rotary transgurter splint. i also port and polished the head and did an intake

smoother flowing air and fuel uses less fuel. i know its crazy but if you just light a joint and think about maybe you can wrap your finger around it.
                          Last edited by DizzDizz; 09-07-2011, 01:03 PM.
                          Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

also i have 4:10's but i drive alot of highway so it helps cause i get like 22 mpg. but if i could do it again i would do 4:88
                            did you take into account that your millage is probably off due to the larger tire size and gearing? so if u use your trip to calculate your mpg you are getting in accurate results
                            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

yes it helps with the rotary transgurter splint. i also port and polished the head and did an intake

smoother flowing air and fuel uses less fuel. i know its crazy but if you just light a joint and think about maybe you can wrap your finger around it.
                              i dont care how well ur head flows. you have given me no proof that ur jeep gets 22mpg.

And why must i light a joint to understand such false statements? i believe your the one smoking the reefer and blowing the smoke outa ur ass.
                              some choose projects

Comment

Working...
                              X