What brand steering??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What brand steering??

Well the kid who was going to make me my custom steering is really backed up with trying to get his buggy ready for the RCROCs and it's gonna be a while before He can do it, so I need to buy an off the shelf set up soon since I bent my stock set up the other day.

What are all your opinions on set ups your using, and how do you like them? I was thinking about going with the rock krawler X-factor steering set up http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...D=15678because I want to stay away from standard style tie rods for the fact that there will always be a little bit of play in the steering with them.

Let me know what you all think.
    2006 Rubicon - high rock bumper, warn 9.5ti, and lots of stockness....for now...

i've never been a fan of that setup since the draglink and tie rod mount on the same shear point on the knuckle. doesnt seem any bit strong to me, although RK makes very nice stuff.

why stay away from TREs? at 3" of lift tie rod roll isn't an issue.

Comment

you can get 1 ton chevy TREs in any autoparts store in america. something to consider when youre wheeling far from home breaking shit
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
        i've never been a fan of that setup since the draglink and tie rod mount on the same shear point on the knuckle. doesnt seem any bit strong to me, although RK makes very nice stuff.

why stay away from TREs? at 3" of lift tie rod roll isn't an issue.
        The kid that was going to make mine has that same style set up and he has NEVER broken it in 6 years of heavy rock crawling, so I'm sure it's strong. And I am at 5 inches of lift in the front now.

As for the 1 ton tie rod ease of replacement factor, that is a great point as far as if I break it and need to get a raplacement ASAP. I just want something close to unbreakable, and I'm sure a 1 ton set up isn't as strong as the X factor style.
        2006 Rubicon - high rock bumper, warn 9.5ti, and lots of stockness....for now...

Comment

tie rod ends generally last longer than heims.

and i have never seen a snapped heim or a snapped chevy 1 ton tre, but it has happened (both break), but it's really a non-issue.

the rock krawler setup is a good setup. I just don't like how it lowers your drag link, making a drop pitman arm nessesary to prevent bumpsteer.
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post

and i have never seen a snapped heim or a snapped chevy 1 ton tre, but it has happened (both break), but it's really a non-issue.
            ive seen both bent to shit.

not non issue
            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
            Originally posted by DizzDizz
            aliens probed my husband

Comment

i meant non issue as its comparing apples to apples.

if you want a bombproof setup you basically have to make your own and make it so NO THREADS are showing, thats the main weakness with a good steering system, bent ends.

i would also use something beef. 2.0 od 3/8 wall or some crazy stuff.

the 1.5" od shit does bend, but can generally take hits very well.
              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X