wander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wander

my jeeps in the shop right now gettin the ujoints done since i had a blown left ujoint and i dont have the necessary tools to do em myself. but anyways before i get too sidetracked, when i drove it last it has a terrible case of death wobble, and a bit of a wandering issue....turning to the right it seems fine..to the left however it seems to have a large amount of play before it begins to move in the direction i want it to. now im wondering if this could be a poor alignment issue or something more like a bum steering box? also if it is in fact a bum steering box could that attribute to the death wobble issue im having. im sure a half blown u joint has part in that but it has a new track bar and i suppose what appears to be a larger steering stabilizer, i would post pics if i could but i cant easily get to my jeep right now. anyways input is welcomed and thanks in advance!
    -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
    https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
    I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
    -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

could be box, frame could be broken, probably not a toe issue. wouldnt cause death wobble anyway. You will have to go over the front end pretty well and just check everything out. Dont rule out the trackbar because its "new" either. mine was new, and the threads pulled out of the insert.
    Dan.
    2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
    www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

wandering on the road is generally bad/almost flat caster angle.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

could be a loose steering box or loose trackbar, those are just 2 of the things I'm currently dealing with myself, however I also have a case of deathwobble.

Comment

Could be steering slop from an inverted t setup also
          dirty30

Comment

I've heard rumors of an adjuster on the steering box itself that can tighten it up. I think it's right next to the directions to the fountain of youth on the box
            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
            1999 sierra
            1967 M725 Big and Slow
            -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
              I've heard rumors of an adjuster on the steering box itself that can tighten it up. I think it's right next to the directions to the fountain of youth on the box
              I've tried it and it doesn't seem to work

Comment

well steering box is questionable, frame is definately solid it appears, may be bent doesnt look it? perhaps....ummm caster angle is bewildering me cause im not sure what exactly that is, im mechanically inclined but inexpirienced and as far as the steering box adjuster ive never heard that one so ill check it.. thanks!!
                -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                -Ian

Comment

just got the ujoints done today, had to replace a wheel bearing and it seems to drive better however death wobble is still apparent. now how detrimental is using a stock pitman arm and non adjustable trackbar on a 4" lift? heard lots of this but id rather hear it from you guys, if someone could explain why it throws off the front end so much that would be awesome too!
                  -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                  -Ian

Comment

stock pitman arm isn't the worst thing in the world.

that stock trackbar could deff be a major player in the deathwoble. that would be my next course of action, replace that bad boy and the front end should deff tighten up.

don't feel like typing out a deffinition and explanation for caster angle, sorry.....

here's a pic:

and if you search almost any jeep tech forum or just google "setting proper caster angle in lifted jeep" you should be on your way

good luck.
                    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

if the tires are toed in it will cause deathwobble.bad tre's can also be of cause.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                        wandering on the road is generally bad/almost flat caster angle.
                        this

Comment

honestly you should of told the shop what your experiencing and see what they think while it was in there for the u-joint. they would of told you what is causing it and then gave ya a quote to fix it

besides that, id start with the basic's.

first check the track bar bushings and since it has a lift that you hadnt put on (assuming) then i'd see if it has a trackbar relocation bracket on it that may be loose. I'd also check the wheel balance of the front tires if I were you also. You may have some parts that are worn, but tire balance being off will amplify how often it happens and when.

example. my 36" tsls would go deathwobble on me around 25-35mph with bb's inside them. Solution was to rebalance them.

worn trackbar bushings are a common cause of death wobble too. trackbar keeps your axle centered/in place side to side. any play in this and the axle goes deathwobble on your ass and tries to rip the axle from the jeep
                          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                          eliminator MJ - Sold
                          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

death wobble gone :-P trackbar was loose and i over looked it several times...fucking dumass before me had a chinsy ass piece of mechanics wire holding the crown nut in place and it sheared off so i simply cranked it down tight and put a real pin in there...poof, death wobble gone
                            -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                            -Ian

Comment

Working...
                            X