Rain = no start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain = no start.

So the other night when we had that hellbomb storm my jeep got drenched. Nothing new, it's gotten wet before. Except this time when I went outside when the storm slowed the radio was on, no key in the ignition. I went to the redbox and the radio was changing stations, going up and down in volume, going nuts. Got up in the morning, no start, just clickkkkk rapid. Eventually stopping. I figured the radio killed the juice, so I took the radio fuses out, let the battery charger on it for awhile, tried it, same thing.

So, what could I have done?

you sure you charged the battery up enough (how was it charged)? try jumping it with another car ? whats the volt guage show with key on ? with the radio staying on, sure the ignition switch was fully off ? maybe a little bit on enough to let power to everything still. also, aftermarket or stock radio ? top down or up ?
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
      you sure you charged the battery up enough (how was it charged)? try jumping it with another car ? whats the volt guage show with key on ? with the radio staying on, sure the ignition switch was fully off ? maybe a little bit on enough to let power to everything still. also, aftermarket or stock radio ? top down or up ?
      Put an old battery charger on it for a couple hours, maybe i'l try jumping it today. Didn't check voltage. There wasn't any keys in the ignition so it had to be all the way off. Aftermarket radio. Top was down, then my fiance threw the rain gear cover on it while I was workin, she didn't strap it down and water pooled on top and pulled the cover into the jeep and all the pool water pretty much went right where the radio was. so i took the cover off and just let it rain in it, since it was drenched.

like 15 mins after that i took the jeep for a ride, radio was going haywire. Up and down in volume, changing stations, going on and off. even with the faceplate off.

Comment

to me it sounds like your radio is now junk. and since it shorted and stayed on all night, your battery became severly discharged. im assuming you have a small trickle carger for a battery charger and nothing like a big 40amp charger. this wont charge a car battery up to easy.

You should be able to jump it and drive around to charge it up.

P.S. Ive done this before with my TJ. My $160 cd player stopped working completly except for cd after leaving top down and heavy rain
        up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
        eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Ya the battery charger is a 2/10 amp. And I had it on two. Ill try jumping it when I get out of work. Hope that's it. I was planning on buying a new head unit anyways.

Comment

hey, if you are still having problems with it starting, give me a call, i'll come down and give you a hand, seeing as how i am right down the street from you now.
            -Ryan

Rigs:
            07 Toyota Tacoma, 4.0L V6, 6spd Man., 3" Susp. Lift on 33x11.5" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, Plenty of Light and Exhaust mods too - SOLD IT!!
            94 Toyota Pickup/w'93 yota body, 3.0L V6, 5spd Man., Body swapped, Removeable Doors, Rear Locker, 36x13-16 Bias TSLs on 16x7" steel wheels, rock sliders, Custom bed and start of Roll Cage

Comment

Originally posted by RockClimber View Post
              hey, if you are still having problems with it starting, give me a call, i'll come down and give you a hand, seeing as how i am right down the street from you now.
              Thanks for the offer, ryan. Got it though. Jumped it, but it would stall if i let off the gas, stayed on the gas for a minute, then took the cables off it and let it run for an hour and half. Shut it off for a couple hours and tried. Started right back up. Battery musta just been super drained.

Comment

glad thats all it was
                eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Working...
                X