One Ton Steering Woes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Ton Steering Woes.

Okay, well, here is the deal. Apparently my passanger side tie rod end was not only bent, but so was the tie rod itself and after much heat, the tie old tie rod end was extracted from the tie rod, but the tie rod is still fucking bent on the passanger side at the threads and the new passanger side end won't go in all the way.

Can I unbend it and run a tap down in there and fix it or do I need to buy an entirely new tie rod assembly from either JCR or Banditt (Who built my steering many moons ago).

I'd kind of like to have this fixed next weekend. I know Banditt posted here a few weeks/months ago, but does anyone know if he is still around?
    Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 06-09-2011, 12:26 PM.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

I stopped by Banditts place a few weeks ago in Enfield, still has his shop going, have his number?

Comment

I have an extra tie rod from when I had inverted t. Wanna try it out?
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

You probably could straighten it and run a tap, but it would be weakened. Better to bite the bullet and get a new rod.
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

run a crossover setup and never bend/ream another again while youre at it gettin a whole new link

id probably just get a rock rod from JCR..unless of course youre gonna stop at banditts on the way to mabell, he is definitely still in the game
          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
          Originally posted by DizzDizz
          aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
            run a crossover setup and never bend/ream another again while youre at it gettin a whole new link
            only option
            -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
              Buy it for me. I'd probably still end up bending the chrome moly tube anyway, regardless of the steering setup I have. It seems the Tie Rod is so bent, that the tie rod end actually won't come out.

Is Banditt's number still the same as 3 years ago?

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
              I have an extra tie rod from when I had inverted t. Wanna try it out?
              If it's 42" long, yeah I'll buy it from you.
              Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 06-09-2011, 05:29 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

well its higher with OTK, and not really expensive, and the ends arent 15" long to bend

you have chromoly links?
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

I don't even know. It's just fucking threaded tube, whatever Banditt sold me.

And for Christ's sake, the tie rod End isn't the only thing that's bent, the threaded tube is.
                  sigpic

Comment

Phil I can help you out what do you need just retap the tie rod? or just make a new insert and weld it in?

Is it 1-1/4 or 1-1/2?

You have my number right?
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                      Phil I can help you out what do you need just retap the tie rod? or just make a new insert and weld it in?

Is it 1-1/4 or 1-1/2?

You have my number right?
                      The tie rod is physically bent at the threads and because of it, the tie rod end that threads into it is also bent inside, so they won't come apart. I essentially need a new one.

If you want to build me a beef fucking tie rod, do it and I'll pay you. I have the standard chevy tie rods ends that all these kits have.
                      sigpic

Comment

can you save your tube just cut out the old insert?
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I have no idea.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                            You probably could straighten it and run a tap, but it would be weakened. Better to bite the bullet and get a new rod.
                            this is what i was gonna do.

throw it in the bender and straightener out as good as i could. then run the tap down it.

if that doesn't work i was gonna say cut off the bent part, and instead of making a new tie rod, just machine a press fit sleeve for the inside, and add somemore tube to her. Weld it up good, throw in a new insert and call it a day.
                            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                              this is what i was gonna do.

throw it in the bender and straightener out as good as i could. then run the tap down it.

if that doesn't work i was gonna say cut off the bent part, and instead of making a new tie rod, just machine a press fit sleeve for the inside, and add somemore tube to her. Weld it up good, throw in a new insert and call it a day.
                              that sounds like a whole lot of work when a new piece of link would be not too expensive, and 100% sound
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
                              X