Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.8 carrier swap questions

hi there,

I purchased a 2000 explorer 8.8 from a JY a few months ago... it was supposed to be open diff.... but when i disassembled it.... its a trac lok... unfortuneately i already purchased a lockright for an open carrier. So i found an open carrier from a guy on pirate...

from what ive read to do a carrier swap all ill have to do is reset backlash which doesn't worry me. the problem im having is. the open carrier i bought doesnt have the spiders, side gears or shims for the side gears...

Does anyone know if the shims on the spiders for a trac lok side gear are the same for an open carrier? In other word when i install the open carrier in place of my trac lok the lock right is designed to replace the side gears and spiders.. but your supposed to reuse the shim from behind the side gears during install.

soooo... seeing that i dont have the spiders or side gears from the open carrier, can i use the shims from behind the trac lok carrier side gears in place of the ones i dont have from the open carrier???? or are they totally different???

thanks in advance,
    mike...

yes just reset back lash. you will need a shim pack to reset the back lash.
    Also you should have the spider gear thrust bearings what you call shims.

Call ring and pinion you can usually get everything separate.
    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I'll check my stock, May have what u need . Pete

Comment

i have the spider gear thrust bearings from the trac lok? will they interchange into the open carrier? or are they different?

thanks for your reply and help,
        mike...

Comment

Sorry , i think they are different.

Comment

hmmm... that sucks... apparently im gonna have to buy a new set....

anyone have a price on a pair of thrust bearings for the side gears on a 31 spline 8.8 open carrier?

Comment

oh man ....deja vu
              99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Originally posted by Xtremeyj420 View Post
                hmmm... that sucks... apparently im gonna have to buy a new set....

anyone have a price on a pair of thrust bearings for the side gears on a 31 spline 8.8 open carrier?
                With a phone call to randy's ring and pinion you could have the answer in 5 min.
                RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

i called randy's ring and pinion and they said dimensionally they are the same.... guess im gonna just have to try and install and see if it works dimensionally for the the lockright..

thanks,
                  mike...

Comment

Working...
                  X