Thermostat housing leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat housing leaking

Mine always seems to leak. I use rtv and a gasket. Whatre you guys doinf to make yours not leak?
    Jeep4.0 if you werent sure

OEM gasket. Mine doesn't leak, just clean off the surface nicey nice with a razor blade
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Do you use rtv or no?

Comment

i always had leaking issues. i used a gasket and some indian head gasket maker shit? idk it gets all over the place and doesn't come off but works like a champ lol
        I drive a Datsun

Comment

everytime i have done a t stat housing or water pump i used RTV and a gasket and havent had a problem.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

make sure you take off the film that comes on one side before installing, I've made that mistake before
            1992 xj Briarwood
            Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
            Welded front and rear
            13' LED roof lights
            Disco ball
            Truck nuts
            Spinners

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
              Do you use rtv or no?
              just a dot to hold the gasket

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMT View Post
                make sure you take off the film that comes on one side before installing, I've made that mistake before
                ya i take that off.

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                just a dot to hold the gasket
                interesting. maybe i will try this.

do you guys torque it down all at once let the rtv dry some and then retorque it?

Comment

I use a hi-temp RTV and I've never had to re-tighten it before

Comment

ya i take that off.

interesting. maybe i will try this.

do you guys torque it down all at once let the rtv dry some and then retorque it?
                    I never used the torque spec. Usually I brought it up even then tightened it down snug. Last time I did it I was at school and didn't drive the Jeep until the next day just to be sure the RTV set up. If you put a thin layer around the gasket and then run the Jeep right after you might blow a small hole through the RTV. Stuff like that happens on the ship all the time around water pump housings

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                      I never used the torque spec. Usually I brought it up even then tightened it down snug. Last time I did it I was at school and didn't drive the Jeep until the next day just to be sure the RTV set up. If you put a thin layer around the gasket and then run the Jeep right after you might blow a small hole through the RTV. Stuff like that happens on the ship all the time around water pump housings
                      x2

Comment

Never had an issue.

If it has a gasket I don't use RTV except to glue it in place.
                        Some gaskets you remove the "film" and it is a sticker holds it in place.

Just make sure the T-stat is seated in place if it drops down it will leak every time.

Is the housing cracked?
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                          Never had an issue.

If it has a gasket I don't use RTV except to glue it in place.
                          Some gaskets you remove the "film" and it is a sticker holds it in place.

Just make sure the T-stat is seated in place if it drops down it will leak every time.

Is the housing cracked?
                          housing aint cracked and i know the thermostat is in place. I think i just use too much RTV apparently.

Comment

... I think i just use too much RTV apparently.
                            Never heard of that. You can use too much and it falls inside and clogs things up but never heard of it not sealing because you used too much.

Some RTV really sucks you need to wait for a film to cure etc.
                            I always use the Right Stuff, expensive but works awesome.
                            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
                            X