Mis-fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mis-fire

My Jeep currently has a misfire but only at idle and its completely random. If I raise the idle to 1000RPM, it goes away. If I put it in gear, and the rpm's drop, it starts happens. It does it when its warm or cold too.

I ran it on the highway today and it was fine for a while, the check engine light even went off but now its back on and its doing it all over again. What do you guys think?
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

When at idle and you can hear the skip, pull each one of the spark plug wires off the cap individually and see if you can figure out which cylinder it is.

If it misfires on all cylinders, then you may have weak spark, so check the cap and rotor or replace the Ignition Coil. My ignition coil went bad once and replacing it solved the occasional misfire. Weak Spark.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

[QUOTE=Buffalo Phil;245064]When at idle and you can hear the skip, pull each one of the spark plug wires off the cap individually and see if you can figure out which cylinder it is.

/QUOTE]

Tried that and did it with the injectors too and the engine ran worse every time I pulled one

Comment

Then I'm going to say you have Weak spark rather than No spark.
        sigpic

Comment

I was leaning toward an injector but we'll try that

Comment

Try everything.
            sigpic

Comment

Motor swap, part out / thread

Comment

How low is your idle? I think mine misfires because my idle is too low.

Comment

could be something as simple as a bad or cracked spark plug. check everything

and when I scrolled down on the main page and looked at tech and saw this was the last thread posted in and crosby was the last to post in it, all I saw was "cros-fire" and started singing CROSSFIRE! YOU GET CAUGHT UP IN THE CROSSFIRE!
                  Last edited by CumminsJeep; 03-30-2011, 09:09 AM.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                    could be something as simple as a bad or cracked spark plug. check everything

and when I scrolled down on the main page and looked at tech and saw this was the last thread posted in and crosby was the last to post in it, all I saw was "cros-fire" and started singing CROSSFIRE! YOU GET CAUGHT UP IN THE CROSSFIRE!
                    lol thats awesome. i catch myself singing that song if i hear or see crossfire

Comment

oh man i have that game!!

hope my post helps you jon
                      I drive a Datsun

Comment

just a thought..
                        check your coil and see if it has any cracks in the molding and gets any kind of moisture it will cause this.(did it on my s10)

Comment

Working...
                        X