8.8 install problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.8 install problems

Finished the install and took it for a test drive. I hear a scraping noise coming from the passenger side brake assembly it sounds like. It only does it when i make turns sometimes. Im not totaly sure what that can be yet? The second main problem is my speedometer is off about 10-15 mph now it was never off this much before with the 32'' tires. I went from 3.07 -4.10 gears and it is an automatic TJ . I also noticed the rear isnt centered rite but that can be fixed with an adjustable track bar. Any ideas on the noise and the speedometer?
    01 tj

the stealership sells a new plastic gear to go in your tcase to calibrate the speedo. noise i have no idea
    2 tj's
    3 yj's
    2 xj's
    i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Originally posted by Arundlemcbrundle View Post
      the stealership sells a new plastic gear to go in your tcase to calibrate the speedo. noise i have no idea
      Ive always lived with not knowing the speed but i usually use my gps. The noise may be a bearing, what kind of brakes on it?

Oh and arundle way to quote me and not give me credit

Comment

could it be the cheap little backing plates on the axle? mine scraped alot when i first got it and they were all bent up but once i bent them away from the rotors it was fine. something to check maybe.
        Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

talked to you today about it. The scraping noise is probably the backing plate or small bolt of some sort. That happened to me also
          Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Henchman View Post
            talked to you today about it. The scraping noise is probably the backing plate or small bolt of some sort. That happened to me also
            Yea man i was more interested in the speedometer being off just was asking about that to0 to get other inputs. But i believe it must be the same problem you had it sounds like it
            01 tj

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
              Ive always lived with not knowing the speed but i usually use my gps. The noise may be a bearing, what kind of brakes on it?

Oh and arundle way to quote me and not give me credit
              I do know about the new speedo gear but is it normal for the speedometer to get off that much after an axle install. because according to my gps before the swap (still had 32'' tires on) it was running 1-2 mph compared to 10-15 now (same 32'' tires) I talked to Erich the other day and sounds like he had the same problem it sounds more like metal to metal scraping like the backing plate or something scraping the rotor the wheels spin freely so the brakes arn't dragging i'm going to pull it apart to see what is rubbing. The axle has Disk brakes. I jacked it up and put it in gear and it sounds good no whining noises that would indicate a bad wheel bearing. So it must be what ever was wrong with his when he did his swap.
              Last edited by ErikVilla; 03-14-2011, 06:56 AM.
              01 tj

Comment

Im gonna guess backing plate, anyour speedo is so off because you went from 307 to 410, the reduction in gearing os what's causing your speedo issue, which can be fix via speedo wheel in tcase or ignoring it
                dirty30

Comment

so you had 3.07 and went to 4.1 what were you expecting? That is about 30% difference. Do the math.
                  3.07 to 4.1 is 65pmh to X

3.07/4.1=65/X
                  X=86
                  86-65=21mph difference

Now go the other way.

3.07/4.1 = 32/Y
                  Y=42 so now you need some 42" tires to equal it back out.
                  Or if stock was 28" tires then 28/Y = 3.07/4.1 Y=37" tires.

Gearing is just math.

Or you can look at that chart.
                  http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-46.htm

It is only 1 bolt to swap the gears.
                  That is if you care enough.

It is always funny listen to people tell you they so much better gas mileage when they regeared it.
                  Then you ask them if they adjusted the speedo and if they are still basing MPG on the Odometer.
                  RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                  www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                  Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I installed track bar today and got everything centered. I removed the wheel and checked everything out there was one bent are on the backing plate that the lip on the back of the rotor was grinding on. i hammered it out and no noises now. Everything has been working smooth now . Thanks for the help ill switch the speedo gear. and everything should be good. i'm new to the jeep building learning as i go. you cant learn without asking questions.
                    01 tj

Comment

Working...
                    X