Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

squealing and voltage loss issue when heat is on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squealing and voltage loss issue when heat is on.

So every time I turn my heat or defrost on my voltage gauge goes from about 13 down to about 10 and my belt starts squealing. Its fine if I don't have the heat on or anything but once I put it on its like its drawing more power than it should be. 96 xj auto 128,000 on it. Its got a new used alternator, new idler pulley, and new p/s pump. Idk if anyone's run into similar issues but any suggestions or help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Check the easy stuff first. Start with checking the belt tension and look for any cracks. Then, I'd have the alternator tested first at autozone. After that I would remove the belt and spin the alternator, idler, power steering, and A/C pulleys by hand. If they are hard to turn or you hear/feel a grinding noise, the bearing is shot
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
      Check the easy stuff first. Start with checking the belt tension and look for any cracks. Then, I'd have the alternator tested first at autozone. After that I would remove the belt and spin the alternator, idler, power steering, and A/C pulleys by hand. If they are hard to turn or you hear/feel a grinding noise, the bearing is shot
      Agreed. I would look into the alternator, belt and a/c compressor. Im leaning toward a/c compressor. The a/c compressor comes on with the defroster to suck moister out of the air.
      2 Broncos are better than 1

Comment

happened to me too dude. I tightened my belt down good and now everything works nicely. Fixed my squealing and voltage drop.
        1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
        1999 sierra
        1967 M725 Big and Slow
        -Dan

Comment

thanks guys. i havent had time to look into it much but im freeing up some stuff so i should be back to working on it soon.
          Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

Working...
          X