check engine light on TJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check engine light on TJ

ok so i just blew my xj up and i am looking into buying a TJ. so i found one for a smokin deal because the check engine light is on, now i was told that they had it scanned and it came up evap. now i kno that could be as easy as a gas cap but i did not kno if this was a common thing that other people had a problem with and could just tell me what it is and hopfully that it is cheap!

it is a 02 tj sport 6cyl 5 speed with 120k
    -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
    -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
    -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
    -57 GMC Pickup
    -Tim (OIIIIIO)

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/cel-...-on-18047.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/je...-hoses-591151/

looks like it can be a pain
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

i wouldn't worry about it to much, you can buy it, clear the code, drive it around for awhile if it doesn't come back on, go test it and have it pass, if it comes back on, test it anyways. You can register a vehicle with a failed emissions, just cant re-register. P.S. I am a State Emission's tech
      up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
      eliminator MJ - Sold
      99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
      Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
        i wouldn't worry about it to much, you can buy it, clear the code, drive it around for awhile if it doesn't come back on, go test it and have it pass, if it comes back on, test it anyways. You can register a vehicle with a failed emissions, just cant re-register. P.S. I am a State Emission's tech
        well what i was hoping is that i can get the thing, clear the codes bring it right to be tested and have it pass, and then if it comes on who cares!! think that is possible??
        -57 GMC Pickup
        -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
          well what i was hoping is that i can get the thing, clear the codes bring it right to be tested and have it pass, and then if it comes on who cares!! think that is possible??
          sort of, you have to let the vehicle sit for a couple of hours so its cold. then clear the code, turn vehicle on and drive it highway for at least 10miles constant 60-65mph. Then get off the highway, drive on a backroad or somewhere where you can do around 35mph constantly for same, idle for a bit in a parking lot, then find a shop to test it without shutting the key off.

This will work most times, sometimes it will show up as "not ready" still, sometimes code will come back pretty fast. you can register it either way, just when it comes time to reregister it, it will need to have passed. which is usually around a year if the vehicle hasnt passed emissions in awhile
          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
          eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

sort of, you have to let the vehicle sit for a couple of hours so its cold. then clear the code, turn vehicle on and drive it highway for at least 10miles constant 60-65mph. Then get off the highway, drive on a backroad or somewhere where you can do around 35mph constantly for same, idle for a bit in a parking lot, then find a shop to test it without shutting the key off.

This will work most times, sometimes it will show up as "not ready" still, sometimes code will come back pretty fast. you can register it either way, just when it comes time to reregister it, it will need to have passed. which is usually around a year if the vehicle hasnt passed emissions in awhile
            it needs to pass to be registered. it is due.
            -57 GMC Pickup
            -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

it needs to pass to be registered. it is due.
              doesn't matter, new owner can register on a pass or fail, it just needs to be tested. Current owner of the vehicle cannot renew unless it pass's.
              eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

doesn't matter, new owner can register on a pass or fail, it just needs to be tested. Current owner of the vehicle cannot renew unless it pass's.

so i would be good untill it needed to be tested again?
                -57 GMC Pickup
                -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

so i would be good untill it needed to be tested again?
                  correct, you can register it on a fail and not worry about it until the next test, which would be 1 year later if the previous owner missed a test by more then a few months. you should be able to get it "passable" though using the clear codes, drive etc trick. Will got his to pass this way also a few months back My silverado had 5 codes and it passed using the method

btw if you buy a TJ, you plan on lifting it any ?
                  eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

ohhh yaaaa im going to do a 4 inch with 33's i have been looking around but my parents just backed out on co sigining a loan because they want me to put an engine in the jeep but i want a toy!! so i need to see what kind of financing i can get. but i cant wheel it because it will be a dd and i dont want to wreck it. so it will be just so it looks good!! i cant stand stock tj's!!
                    -57 GMC Pickup
                    -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

ohhh yaaaa im going to do a 4 inch with 33's i have been looking around but my parents just backed out on co sigining a loan because they want me to put an engine in the jeep but i want a toy!! so i need to see what kind of financing i can get. but i cant wheel it because it will be a dd and i dont want to wreck it. so it will be just so it looks good!! i cant stand stock tj's!!
                      i miss my TJ- I daily drove this thing

32's (bfg a/t)

32's (bfg m/t)

33's

35's

36's

Last edited by 1cleantj; 02-05-2011, 08:52 PM.
                      eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

thats reallllll nice!!! with the 32's how many inches of lift was that, and with the 35's how many inches of lift did you have?
                        -57 GMC Pickup
                        -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

4" suspension lift on every single picture there, although i think all of them except the 32 bfg m/t pic is after I did a homemade Highline which gave me 3" or so additional tire clearance without raising vehicle at all and still using stock hood and fenders
                          eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

so the third to last picture is only 4 inches???? the picture where it is all clean and the hellas have the covers on? that looks like more!
                            -57 GMC Pickup
                            -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

what front bumper is that?
                              -57 GMC Pickup
                              -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Working...
                              X