Will these fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will these fit?

Been looking for a set of axles to rebuild for my 2001 xj. I found a guy selling an 8.8 and a 44 here's the description he gave:

ford 8.8 rear out of a f150 complete drum to drum new shoes drums and hardware kit also new axle seals. Gear are 4.11 text w any questions 6098285658 also have a dana 44 same gears new hubs and brakes

should I try and get them? whats a fair price? Thanks

Thread Closed he just sent me an email back sold them last night.....

Comment

Theres a guy on NAXJA sell a 44/44 comboe geared and locked. Its not an 8.8 rear but still strong.
      http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053610
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Thank you. I think I looked at those but i really think i want to buy and do the rebuild myself. I will have alot of time off with this new job so Ill need something to keep me busy. and Ill be able to spread out what Im spending over the process of the build. Thanks though..... another question is what trucks can I take the 8.8 out of and what trucks can i take the 44 out of for the 2001 xj? Thanks again

Comment

Even though these were sold I figure that for future reference of someone possibly searching for this info that I should answer the question.

The rear axle (8.8) out of the F150's are wider than that of the cherokee... if you want wider it is gravy... however, it is not a bolt in affair. You will need to cut off the spring perches and weld new ones on . Also you might need a new pinion yoke because IIRC they have a flange and the stock jeep drive shafts use a u-bolt style yoke or a strap style yoke.

The front axle is a whole can of worms. One, these axles will not be out of the same truck because there was never a solid axled front D44 F150 that had a 8.8 from the factory.

Besides that, the front axle (depending on what it is actually out of) If far from Bolt in. You need coil perches control arm mounts etc.
          Last edited by SupermanIce-J; 02-03-2011, 09:37 AM.
          2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
          • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
          • 4.0/42rle/np241or
          • 5.13's
          • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
          • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by Lifesabeach01 View Post
            Thank you. I think I looked at those but i really think i want to buy and do the rebuild myself. I will have alot of time off with this new job so Ill need something to keep me busy. and Ill be able to spread out what Im spending over the process of the build. Thanks though..... another question is what trucks can I take the 8.8 out of and what trucks can i take the 44 out of for the 2001 xj? Thanks again
            Alrighty, a 95+ explorer will be a 31 spline and disk brakes, and a 44 youll want either a LP Waggy 44 from an 80-92 Grand waggy, or a HP(that will have to be cut down if you dont want to run full width) from a late 70s F250.
            -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

if you're going to go through all this trouble why not just build a pair of 60's?

Comment

What do you think?

Building a set of 60's would be way overkill for what i intend on doing but what I intend on doing and what I will actually do will probably be greatly different. I was doing alot of looking around today and I feel like an 8.8 rear locked and a d30 HP built correctly will be good enough for the slight wheeling we have here on LI and any Rausch trips. The d30 in my 2001 is a LP correct? and that would deff be a waste correct? If i got a D30 HP and rebuilt it trussed it new shafts and a spare set, 4:88's should work well for now?

Comment

00 and 01 are low pinion and worthless you are correct
                  I drive a Datsun

Comment

what makes the HP so much better than the LP. I really know squat about axles and such and I keep reading everything and keep seeing people say that the LP sucks but why? Probably a stupid question but like I said I know very little about LP, HP, axles, gears, anything haha yea I know its pretty bad
                    Last edited by Lifesabeach01; 02-03-2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

high pinion, the gears spin in the opposite direction Pulled not pushed direction wise IIRC which in return is stronger, the pinion enters above the center line which also gives some more clearance
                      God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Thank you very much......that's pretty simple thanks a lot that helped a lot.

Comment

High pinion in the front, low pinion in the rear. It has to do with the drive and coast sides of the ring gear. Basically a low pinion front drives on the coast side of the gear which is arguably 30% weaker than a high pinion which utilizes the drive side of the gear. Its the other around for the rear. High pinion also takes your driveshaft up and out of the rocks.

Building D60's is never a waste. Building the christ out of a HP 44 front, narrowed, chromos, gears, lockers, knuckles, hi steer, brackets, etc. will in the end cost relatively similar amounts to building a D60
                          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11690
                            95 xj JY 3" 35" truxus mt's

Comment

Working...
                            X