Steering shaft sleeve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering shaft sleeve

Im sure you all know what i mean, the coupling at the ujoint on the steering shaft that connects the steering shaft to the steering box splined end...where u tighten that bolt to squeeze it over the steering box splined end.

well i have the durango box in, and the sleeve doesnt seem to close enough., even with the bolt cranked down all the way...i can physically grab the steering shaft and pull it jiggle it around on the steering box end, back and forth a bit and side to side.

whats the deal with this? i cant tighten it anymore to squeeze it, not sure if this is a pre existing issue that was there and just masked by my 100 other problems before or if this is new cuz of the durango box
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Side to side seems really weird. I would think the splines would keep it from rotating. As far as the movement back and forth, I know my steering has some play...whether or not it is normal, I'm not sure.
    88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

the jeep can definitely turn the wheels, there is just an amount of play and a clunk involved cuz this sleeve is so loose on the steeriing box shaft.

and i can see the sleeve has a gap in it that could close more if i could tighten it down more...
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
      X