Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj won't start

my dad told me yesterday that the jeep won't start here are the details:

1. all electrical stuff and gauges work fine still and new battery to try to fix the problem was installed and electrical works but still no start

2. does not turn over or click or anything when turning the key

3. tried pop starting but my dad said it didn't work which is what is getting me worried. he said he had everything right(ignition on, in gear, etc) but he could have messed something up.

i would think starter/electrical until detail 3. does anyone have any idea as to what could be going on here? i don't know much at all about this since i just have not been exposed to it. any info is appreciated.

thanks guys
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Pop starting it will work as long as all the pieces are free to move, smack the starter a bit because it may have froze up with the cold.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

open up the distributor and check the rotor/contacts. also check to make sure that the connection between there and the coil is still good.

also, stupid question, but what key is he using? the original one for 2000+ models have a chipped key. that could explain why nothing is working.

good luck.
      "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
      It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

my guess would be bad connection at starter or clutch safety switch. older TJ's you could bypass the safety switch by putting a fuse in the "auto transmission fuse spot behind glove box, newer ones you can also but it might just be labeled clutch override or something i forget. the whole pop starting thing could of just not done it fast enough/right.
        up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
        eliminator MJ - Sold
        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

he is using the original key, but i use a copied one and it doesn't matter anyways. do you guys think it's more likely that the starter is just frozen up a bit than gone bad?

I will also have him try throwing a fuse in the override slot just to eliminate that possibility.

thanks

Comment

my dad ended up taking it to a local shop where we know the owner well and it ended up being a shot starter. he also told us it was a starter from the 2000 era and my jeep is an 01, pretty weird.

Comment

Working...
            X