Upward flex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upward flex

OK, i just put some new stuff on the jeep including 2in coil spacers and shackles, and front shocks. So that should mean my jeep is sitting at around 5 inches of lift. I ordered my front doetsch shocks for 5 inches of lift off Iron Rock Offroad. When all is said and done the front shocks only have 2.25 inches of up travel before it hits the built in bump stop. Should I care that there is so little up travel, I realize that down travel is more important because its all about keeping tires on the ground. How much up travel would be ideal? Should I be looking for different shocks? If I used my old ones i would have almost no down travel.

my set up at 4.5-5" of lift uses 10" travel shocks. I have 4" of uptravel and 6" of downtravel.

....i'll continue after i take my pizza out..... i lied too tired, later.
    Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 01-10-2011, 05:34 PM.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

i used to run about that much compression when i did the comps. it rode just fine too. nothing wrong with it.

i would re-measure everything. 4.5" lifts generally run a 10" travel shock and this generally split the upward/downward travel equally. sounds a little fishy
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

What should I remeasure? I never even really looked at the shocks, i had them fully extended but the shaft couldn't have been over 10", well maybe it was. Maybe I will unbolt the top and lean it out and measure. I wasn't able to order based on travel length, IRO just have you select the amount of lift. My first thought about the shocks was wow the base(don't know real name) is really long.
        Last edited by cherokee-at-16; 01-10-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

the right way to buy shocks is to fully cycle your suspension (shockless) and measure what mounting point to mounting point is. then go shock shopping and by what measurements you came up with. you will almost always have to limit your droop (depending on what components you have) and in that case the shocks will be fine as the limit for most peoples applications unless you are particularly hard on your rig and find your tires airborne quite often.

do you have other bumpstops on your rig (not the shock mounted donut things)? when you flex do those come close to contacting?

Comment

All i have it the stock bumps, but the doetsch shock have a built in one thats suppose to be able to hold the weight of the vehicle.
            the black things are the integrated bumps, the two on the outside. The ones in the middle or procomps...
            Last edited by cherokee-at-16; 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I found that my old shocks that where put on with my 3" lift where 10 inch travel. And the doetsch tech's must be 12" then. Which means I have 9.75" of droop. Will one side continue to drop if the other side is maxed out in the upward direction? Also, should i put my old shocks back on?

Comment

10" is what most people run for 4.5-5" of lift. if the 12's are too long, then yea, put the 10's on

Comment

Working...
                X