No announcement yet.

Steering wheel change with an air bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel change with an air bag?

Anyone pulled their air bag wheel and put in an aftermarket? I have this fear that the bag is going to go off if I bump something the wrong way. I am getting a grant wheel. Summit has an install kit that says fits the Cherokee up to 95 so I may try it.

I love the grant steering wheels. Is there a fuse for the airbag that you could pull to disable it?
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

Yes, but I'd prefer to remove it. Its just a trail rig. I never drive it around and I always wear a seat belt.

Comment

Disconnect the battery before you remove the airbag. It has to sit for a minute to disable.

Comment

I have read the entire removal. Ill be doing it through the window from the side as it instructs.

Comment

Take the cover off the wheel with the four screws or so from the back side and I think the airbag unit has one wire going to it which you can disconnect once the cover is off. I wouldn't be too worried about it, Justin and I banged his around pretty good and nothing happened.

Comment

Let me know how this goes. Im looking to yank mine out too. very scared to do it, as the airbag light has been on ever since i took apart my column, and Im waiting for the day it just goes off on its own haha.
              "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
              It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Can I have the airbag?

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
                  Let me know how this goes. Im looking to yank mine out too. very scared to do it, as the airbag light has been on ever since i took apart my column, and Im waiting for the day it just goes off on its own haha.
                  You could use my friend's dad's method and cover it with a post-it. Out of sight, out of mind

Comment

I doubt your (or any of ours) Jeep has it, but some cars have a system so that the airbag will deploy long after the battery has been cut or removed. I know thats always a concern when we are extricating drivers. More so in new cars with side curtain and stuff, but its something to consider. You could pretty easily hurt yourself, especially since you have no way to predict if it would go off or not. I'd try to get a hold of a Jeep technician and see what they say, just to be on the safe side.
                    2000 XJ
                    2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

Underneath the center console, there is the airbag module. Unplug it and it is disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                        I doubt your (or any of ours) Jeep has it, but some cars have a system so that the airbag will deploy long after the battery has been cut or removed. I know thats always a concern when we are extricating drivers. More so in new cars with side curtain and stuff, but its something to consider. You could pretty easily hurt yourself, especially since you have no way to predict if it would go off or not. I'd try to get a hold of a Jeep technician and see what they say, just to be on the safe side.
                        Yes, this is how mine is. In the removal instructions it looks like I need to stick a long allen in it to keep it from deploying. I think it holds the clock spring?

Comment

Actually its an arming screw. Only the 95/96 models are mechanical. The rest are electronically fired. Mine has to be disabled by backing the screw all the way out then I can remove the bag.

Comment

I did it on my 98 for a while, all i did was disco module, remove wheel, unplug air bag, put in new wheel, pull air bag light bulb and went on my way.
                            Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

Working...
                            X