98' 5.9L ZJ Chase Build ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98' 5.9L ZJ Chase Build ideas

During a discussion today regarding KOH and our logistics planning for the event, we decided that it would be necessary to cover every remote pit location this year. We didn't do this last year and Breadtruckdriver ended up having to baja the RZR out to the furthest remote pit to fuel us. Total clusterfawk.

So, rather than towing two additional Cummins powered trucks out for pitting, it was decided that my 5.9L ZJ would be perfect to use for our last chase/pit vehicle.

This truck is currently all stock and hasn't be run in two years...

Since I don't have a ton of unibody experience, I am turning to the experts...SIS! Looking for ideas and input on building this truck quickly and relatively inexpensively for pitting/chase duty in JV. Looking for ideas on frameplating, motor mounts, suspension, tool & spare mounting etc.
    Looking to run a 35 inch tire and retain the stock axles. Have 4.5in RK coils and considering long arms. Shocks, bumps (lengths, sizes)?

All ideas are welcome & thank you in advance for the help!
    -Erik
    Miller Motorsports #4421 : 1st Overall - 2010 Ultra4 IEC Series , 2010 Line Mtn. Race Series
    Thanks to: BFGoodrich, Spidertrax, The Axle Exchange, Metro Printing & Promo, North Jersey Jeep Club, CTM, RadFlo Shocks, Schwanke Engines, HeavyMetalConcepts, EMS Offroad

get an 8.8 and a hp30 (4.10's) and ditch the dana44A and the LP30 go with a decent set of longarms, some bilsteins , transfercase swap (231 or 242). Maybe someone else has better ideas but thats a good start!

Comment

i would say 10-11 inch travel on some bilsteins, lunchbox lockers just in case, gear it to 4:56/4:88 on 35's, maybe make a roof rack for a spare tire? compressor under the hood to fill up a flat.
      God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I'd recommend some clayton, yes i did it , Clayton longarms for that bad boy. Can't beat the quality and the awesomeness of currie johnny joints. throw those 4.5 coils in and some poly bumpstops and 10" travel 5150's and you'll be all good. an antirock wouldn't be bad to have in there either.

honestly if you're not crawlin, just ripping around in the desert then that 44a will be fine and so will the d30 with 35's. regearing would be a pain in the balls IMO, and you got all that horse, just puto el footo el downo

I'd also take out the backseat, fab up a rack that you throw some spares onto, and bolt down a tool box.
        Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 11-21-2010, 08:36 PM.
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Don't forget, ambers for speed
          God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Yes, you need to put a race amber on that badboy. It's very important, affects overall whooping speeds. You probably already know that though.

actually in reality.... i'd find a beater ass 4 dr xj. rip the backseat out and customize for pit stuff. tool box, spot for spares, gas cans.

Get some 33's and cut the living shit outta it, throw some 3.5 coils up front get some cheap leafs for the rear, 8" 5150's and don't worry about anything. just beat the snot out of it, its a xj it'll survive.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

i actually wouldnt even bother with 35s

"chasing" in JV by KOH standards is nothing more than mild desert running for the most part, youre gonna get everything you need (and more) out of a set of 33s. more power, less wear/tear, so on.

the only unibody bracing worth talking about comes with a cage. stiffeners alone just aint gonna cut it long term. short term youll be fine probably with nothing, (koh 2011), but plate stiffeners certainly can and would only help. full u-channel ideal, angle iron minimum.

or just haul my caged foxed airbumped deavered shit out there to chase . turnkey

long arms and MINIMUM 5150s if you want a half way decent performing truck at any speed. i would look for bilstein 7100s on the cheap, as they can be found for some smoking deals used. 10-11" travel max. though maybe glenn can hook you up. radius arm it.

if youre staying budget, and arent driving this all over creation back home, do a spool rear and call it done.

spare, if youre not space conscious, put it in the back of the jeep inside, its best there weight wise and containment wise, also a quick jobber to do. if you need the space inside, get it on a tire carrier out back somehow (built into a fabbed bumper), but brace the shit outta that baby cuz thats a lot of weight leveraging on the ass end at speed

brace the Cs on the dana 30 with some plate, across the front of em on the top and bottom does a body good. bending those is a bummer.
              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz
              aliens probed my husband

Comment

dont listen to that Heavymetal guy he doesnt know jeepspeed....

and by that....what he said was exactly what I would say. radius arm, fox 2.0s or 7100s, and a spooled rear. or in your case, do some radflo 2.0 resi shocks

and def do some frame/axle strengthening. possible 6 point cage. simple, fairly cheap, and very very functional

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Need a driver for this chase rig??? I might know a guy.
                  2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
                  • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
                  • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                  • 5.13's
                  • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
                  • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    the only unibody bracing worth talking about comes with a cage. stiffeners alone just aint gonna cut it long term. short term youll be fine probably with nothing, (koh 2011), but plate stiffeners certainly can and would only help. full u-channel ideal, angle iron minimum.
                    Look at you Mr. IMMA GETTIN A CAGE ZOMG!

I remember you sayin something to the tune of "meh... a cage is a lil over the top for unistiffening. Just uni-body braces and call it done although a cage is great for protecting passengers."

I agree with your new statement to an extent... I think a full unibody chassis stiffener set will be miles and miles above nothing there...

2003 TJ Rubicon
                    • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                    • 5.13's
                    • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
                      Look at you Mr. IMMA GETTIN A CAGE ZOMG!

I remember you sayin something to the tune of "meh... a cage is a lil over the top for unistiffening. Just uni-body braces and call it done although a cage is great for protecting passengers."
                      quote it, ive definitely never said that before in that context

stiffening plates are not going to cut it long term, i didnt say it wouldnt help stiffen.

context context context
                      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

I can't. It was in Joisey around the campfire where you were probably drunkkkkkk. With sober girls around you acting drunk.

2003 TJ Rubicon
                        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                        • 5.13's
                        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
                          I can't. It was in Joisey around the campfire where you were probably drunkkkkkk.
                          i recall you bein pretty drunk joshy, and despite the drunk i am i was most likely stone cold sober

if i said anything like that it was probably circumstantial, not in general
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=touWPnReDyk[/ame]

2003 TJ Rubicon
                            • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                            • 5.13's
                            • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

i will add when i said cage i meant a cage paired with the aforementioned stiffeners
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
                              X