D44 Rear Disc Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D44 Rear Disc Brakes

I just picked up a rear D44 and I'm looking to upgrade the rear from drums to discs before it goes in. What, besides the teraflex kit, bolts up to a rear 44 to convert it to discs? Anyone do this before?
    I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

crown vic and zj disks are your best bet. i had zj's on mine and it was cheap and easy. any junkyard will have all your parts, or even grab a zj d35 from someone
    I drive a Datsun

Comment

ZJ is nice. I like mine.

With the 44's though you need some sort of extra part to keep preload on your wheel bearing. Yours I believe is tapered and not straight cut like most jeeps.

Would have to look up something online about it though.
      01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

there is a spacer available from teraflex for that
        I drive a Datsun

Comment

those rings shown in the pic i used on mine
          I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
            crown vic and zj disks are your best bet. i had zj's on mine and it was cheap and easy. any junkyard will have all your parts, or even grab a zj d35 from someone
            Crown vic calipers? Does the year matter? How about the backing plate and e-brake? If you have any pics of yours alex it would help

Comment

Gonna do this on my 8.8 tomorrow for the parking break.
              http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45225
              God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Look at what Zach(lycaon) did they bolted right up.
                -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

you can change the position by flipping the bracket around, i think theres like 8 different positions you can mount them in. the benefit i find in this type is the vented rotors and the fact that the rotor and pad surface area is larger than the zj brakes which provides better stopping force, the only downside is that the lever action parking brake is highly inferior to that of the integral drum brake in the zj setup.
                  Last edited by Lycaon; 11-14-2010, 12:53 AM.
                  2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                  1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

Great pics Zach thanks! What parts are from what and where did you get them. Can you give me a cost estimate?

Comment

http://www.tsmmfg.com/2562_44.htm
                      here ya go!

Comment

I thought we went over this before.

This is what I did and would do it again

Look at GM metric calipers.
                        Weld on brackets are only $10 at speedwaymotors.com
                        Calipers are like $30 with a core
                        You can also use the Caddy Calipers with the E-brake on them.
                        And there is aftermarket support i.e. larger piston and light weight calipers.
                        And most stores stock them.

Then use front rotors in the rear.
                        Bolt the calipers onto the brackets rotated until it looks good and weld it.

As for the end plates I'm sure you can get them from Currie I just got mine from them for the Set20 torino flanges.

Or do what I did and sacrifice the drum brake backing plate just cut all the way around the flange.

If you use the 8.8/TJ brakes then you have little tiny calipers good like trying to do a dig or anything with them. they are designed to have the same stopping power as the drum brakes you have on there now.

Just my 2 cents
                        ~Justin

RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
                        X