What the fuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the fuck

...is killing the Load on my Batteries?? Went out to the jeep this morning and the Jeep just Barely started. This has happened to me twice already and the battery was fine, but then all of a sudden starting it just seems to start dragging ass. We thought it was the starter, but just replaced the battery and it started right up with no problem. This occured again, replaced the battery, started right up like nothing was wrong. We cleaned the Terminals and checked the battery with a high tech gauge and all it did was tell us the battery was no good.

I'm on Battery #3 here and the load just went to shit. Is it the fucking starter or what? I don't get it. What causes a battery to just shit the bed overnight? Once the jeep starts up, nothing is wrong.
    Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 11-04-2010, 08:39 AM.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

No expert here, but there is probably a draw somewere in the electrical system causing it to go dead. Or maybe its yo alternator.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Could it be the Winch?
      sigpic

Comment

is there a off and on switch for the winch? Mine has one and the battery has never drained becasue of that. You could try discoing it and see. wouldnt hurt
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

I never really looked. I assumed it didn't have one.
          sigpic

Comment

I believe this is called a parasitic drain. something is slowly taking power from your battery (like leaving a light on) but just not as noticeable. it could even be due to a bad ground. did you check the alternator too?
            here is a quick write up i found to do some simple checks for a parasitic drain.
            http://www.flashoffroad.com/electric...teryDrain.html

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

my guess is alternator....or maybe vandal is going out at night and turning your lights on.
              mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
              2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
              and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Go to autozone and tell them to check the alternator in the car. It takes 5 mins and its free. In the meantime disconnect the leads from the winch to the battery to rule that out of the equation. Check the glove box light, that happened to mine...the switch was a little fawked
                I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

I'll bring it down to the Shop tomorrow and have it checked out but it's unnerving because it sounds like it just doesn't want to start but then Fires right up.

I hate electrical issues. Thanks for the input so far, though, guys.

I'll check the battery and the Alternator first and see what happens.
                  sigpic

Comment

Does your jeep have a voltmeter in the dash? Whats it reading?

Comment

Well, this is embarrasing to admit but it was infact the starter itself. Just decided to shit the bed randomly. I had to tap the starter with my Crowbar in order to start the jeep so it's down at the shop now getting the starter replaced. Goddamnit.

I'm yota bombing for the time being.
                      sigpic

Comment

Parasitic load is very easy to diagnose if you have a good ammeter.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal and hook an ammeter up in series between the cable and the battery.

Normal parasitic load should be less than 0.035A, if it is high then remove PDC fuses until the load drops to spec. That tells you where to look, as the load will be in the same circuit that the removed fuse controls.
                        01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Phil, don't feel bad.

I'm rocking the Fag Wagon right now because Junior decided to shit a rear driveshaft.
                          2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                          MK2 Jetta > M3
                          Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by iant333 View Post
                            Parasitic load is very easy to diagnose if you have a good ammeter.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal and hook an ammeter up in series between the cable and the battery.

Normal parasitic load should be less than 0.035A, if it is high then remove PDC fuses until the load drops to spec. That tells you where to look, as the load will be in the same circuit that the removed fuse controls.
                            AMP CLAMP FTW
                            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Working...
                            X