4 Banger Wranglers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Banger Wranglers

I have been shopping around for a new Jeep and have found numerous 4 cylinder Wranglers. My Jeep experience has been mostly with the 4.0 HO and I know little of the 2.5 four cylinder. What can you tell me about these Jeeps? The good, the bad.....
    Ryan
    2013 Wrangler

Reliable. no power. thats about it Its pretty much the same engine as a 4.0, minus 2 cylinders.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

They are cheaper for a reason...

Comment

How do they do on the highway?
        Ryan
        2013 Wrangler

Comment

my buddy just bought a 93 4 cyl. with 77,000 miles... runs and drive great, just has a lack of power.. he has 31x10.5x15 mud tires. on the highway its not bad until you reach an incline, then it starts to fall back... my brother just bought a 95 yj with 89,000 miles.. 33x12.5x15 a/t's and its awesome. i would say go for the 4.0 ... by seeing these 2 jeeps side by side on the highway and also offroad the 4 cyl wouldnt be my choice.

Comment

My biggest concern is the highway and hills. I contend with I-395 from beginning to end every few weeks.
            Ryan
            2013 Wrangler

Comment

if you are going to highway drive it, i would look into a 6cyl

Comment

I've never went on the highway when mine was stock so I don't really have any input on that.
                They are reliable though. Mine (knock on wood) has yet to give me any issues at all
                Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

i can go 85 in 4th ... it takes awhile to get there though
                  4x4 Station Wagon...

Comment

lol i went 83 once down a big hill with favorable winds on 31's! stock on the highway they're really not bad at all in my opinion. even for me, on 31's it doesn't bother me at all. yes, hills do suck but you learn to use momentum and downshift and it's ok. my biggest issue has been the hills on route 9. you have to consider the setup you'll have also. gears and tires and weight? what are you planning?
                    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
                      They are cheaper for a reason...
                      This. My friend was very foolish in my opinion as he stopped driving his 92 H.O. because he found a 95 4cyl. from a friend for only $1500 that had a fresh motor swap, a bestop two-piece hardtop and full doors. It is night and day in driving them and I would never buy a 4cyl myself. It is even slow around town and he only has 235s on it. I miss driving the 4.0 so much and when we went on a highway drive up the hills on the parkway we never passed 65 and everytime he hit an incline was downshifting. He still has the 4.0 parked and I've been telling him to swap the parts he likes and sell of the 2.5 for a year now.

Comment

less power, exhaust manifold problems like 4.0L, not as common in a junkyard if you need parts/new motor.

I have driven both and wouldn't consider a 4cyc. it will even hurt resale value honestly. I used to drive 395 daily with my wrangler with the 4.0L and a few upgrades and it was good. Could go 90mph if i wanted too with the 35's.
                        up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                        eliminator MJ - Sold
                        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

I drove my friends 94 yj 4 banger a few weeks back, and it felt more sluggish than my tired misfiring renix on 33's and stock gears. I would never get one.
                          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                          1999 sierra
                          1967 M725 Big and Slow
                          -Dan

Comment

i just bought one.

im keepin the 4cyl

it has the 5 speed and she's quicker than my 4 speed 4 cyl manche despite the added weight and less aerodynamicness.
                            www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                              i just bought one.

im keepin the 4cyl

it has the 5 speed and she's quicker than my 4 speed 4 cyl manche despite the added weight and less aerodynamicness.
                              in stock form its fine. its just when you start putting bigger tires on it when they start sucking

I put stock tires on mine to go through inspection so they didnt stick out past the flares and the thing felt like a rocket ship. still slow, but felt much better

Comment

Working...
                              X