Battery is draining. Parasitic load.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery is draining. Parasitic load.

Battery on my XJ has been dieing recently, only takes about 3 hours to fully drain. Another funny issue I noticed was that the blower would not turn off when you took the key out of the ignition, it stayed on and you could turn it on with the key out of the ignition.

Did the multimeter and fuse pulling thing and the load was about 1.5 amps with all the fuses in. With the interior fuse 25 (owners manual says it related to the climate control) it drops down to about 1 amp, and then PDC ACC/Run and Blower fuses removed the load drops down alot closer to spec at 0.076 amps. Still a bit high but I'm not as concerned about that for now.

Anyone have any idea what I should replace? It doesn't seem like a direct short or there would be much more current flow, all I got from searching was something about some resistor block but I'm not even sure what that is, I don't know a ton about vehicle interior wiring.
    01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

My dads f350 did the a/c working without any keys, only happend when it rained but our fix was to pull one of the fusses for now until we can fully diagnose it.
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I guess I could do that but I wont have heat.

And someone on another forum mentioned checking the ignition switch so:

I unplugged and plugged the ignition switch back in and now the blower shuts off when the key is off. Didn't expect it to be that easy. I still have to check the load though to see if that is fixed, I wasn't paying attention and had the meter lead on my DVOM in the wrong plug and blew the fuse. Have to go buy another but I'll go back and check in a few hours.
      01 XJ 3" on 33's and some new paint n stuff. Gone.

1989 Jeep Comanche, sold to HeavyMetal

2000 Subaru Impreza RS. Built WRX motor and coilovers and stuff.

Comment

Working...
      X